1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 not closing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

My 40 year old 1100 has decided to not close all the way all the time. It's not consistent and a little nudge completes the job. Factory or reloads, it doesn't matter. Anyone have any ideas what to start looking at? Parts need replacement?
    Bruce

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Take a look at the extractor. I ended up changing the spring.

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would start with the action spring. They are cheap and easy to replace.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Clean the chamber. Make sure your reloads are sised .809 or smaller at the brass.

Take off the barrel and insert a shell, watching if it binds.

HM

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

99 times of a 100 it will be the action spring, they are easily obtained. I have an extra one I think

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

No boing left in the boinger for sure.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A forty year old 1100 should be checked for receiver cracking just ahead of the ejection port - especially if it's had a lot of rounds through it. I caught one once and Remington made it good. Also, it could just be worn out. Be careful you don't cut your fingers when you put them inside the receiver.

8. TomB

TomB Member

Check the "h" shaped piston that the fork fits into, that rides in front of the action spring. I had one that wore thru, it was aluminum. Then.. if not that, take the bolt return spring/action spring out and clean/oil it and the tube that houses it. Tom B

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

You might also check your gas rings. Make sure they are not binding in the barrel. The barrel is noted for getting carboned up where the gas rings seat. Try removing the gas rings and see if you still have problems with the bolt not closing all the way (do not shoot it this way of course). If you are still having problems your extractor may not be going into the barrel recess. clean this area and check to see if the extractor is hitting where it is not suppose to be. You could have a damaged extractor. The previous suggestions are also good ones. Good luck. Bob

10. Keith1

Keith1 TS Member

Last week my friends 1100 began to not close as you have described. A little tap on the operating handle and it would close. I found that the piston cylinder had a very thin build up of residue. This was very difficult to remove but after a good cleaning with 600 grit sand paper the bolt closes properly.
    Regards, Keith

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Break-free CLP.

At 40 years, you're due for a new action spring.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The gas ring on the bbl can get pretty crusted up. You may need to get in there with a screwdriver and scrape it out.

Then go to Brownells and purchase one of there gas cylinder brushes. And, while your there you can purchase a new recoil spring and a few other extra parts.

Doug

13. 121083

121083 Member

If your gas ring or barrel lug on your barrel is cruded up inside, the easiest way to clean this is a dremil tool with one of there stainless steel wheels. Makes short work of any fouling in it. I do mine every time I clean my gun. Takes about a minute. Thanks and good shooting, Bob Morris.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

GunDr and 121083 make a good point. But a good soaking of BreakFree CLP will make the cleaning easier. Regular use of BreakFree CLP will impede future build-up.

But you are due for action spring replacement whatever the immediate problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bolt will not close all the way on a rem 1100

remington 1100 bolt will no close

remington 1100 receiver not closing

remington1100 bolt dosnt close all the way