1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Old Beater, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

Gentlemen, I am in need of advice on how to get the stock off of an 1100. I own both an 1100 Trap-T and a similar filed model with the same kind of stock bolt. It looks like if I had a big enough screw driver I could get it off by myself. I ordered a stock wrench from Shotgun Sports but it has a socket with threading on the inside and I really need some kind of socket that might be just "like a big screw driver." I know that they sell the Brownell's buttstock bolt remover, but that thing is $100! Really?!
    Any help is welcome

Regards,
    Blaise in California

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Big screwdriver has worked for me. I think I bought it from a NAPA autoparts.

J.F.

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I just bought one from Brownells, it's 23.99 and works great. Stock# 080-187-201. It uses a 3/8 in socket drive.

4. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

Thanks 12ShotTwo! That is exactly what I am looking for. I have one on order! Thanks for the quick response.

Regards

Blaise in California

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you get a screw driver that fits the screw slot wrap it with masking tape about a half inch from the end. Build up the tape so it will just fit into the hole in the stock. This will keep the screw driver tip lined up with the slot. It helps to have a screw driver with a square shaft, this lets you use a wrench if needed to loosen the screw. HMB

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I found, from this site, that you can use a 13/16 or 7/8" speed bore bit. The top of the flat sticks up just far enough to get a wescott wrench onto for leverage. Next to zero cost, and it works. Good luck. Bob

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There are many of these around and they work fine.

HM

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb gave good advice about building up the shaft of a screwdriver to keep it centered. If you get the bit off center between the head of the screw and the stock you can crack the wood if you turn the thing hard enough, A tire tool is thick enough to keep centered in the stock bolt hole. Very large screwdrivers can be found for around $2 at yard sales or $15 at auto parts stores.

Pat Ireland

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Big square shank screwdriver, wrap with tape or slide into a short length of conduit and hold gun in a well padded vise...not too tight. Hold screwdriver with left hand (brace against chest..you want pressure on the screw) and turn the screwdriver with a crescent wrench. Careful.

10. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

I also purchased the special socket from Brownell;s. It was only 23.00 and worth every penny. Having been an auto mechanic for quite a few years, I had learned the necessity of the right tool for the job.

This special socket works exactly as claimed and totally prevents any kind of damage to your stock or nut. I highly recommend this socket. Remember, you only need to purchase one tool as it will last many lifetimes. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.