1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 mystery problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I have a friend of mines 1100 20ga (large frame, mod barrel) here that has feed issues. About every 4th or 5th shot, the second shell will come out of the magazine and just sit in there and not get lifted up by the carrier. I've replaced the magazine spring, cleaned the tube and still the same issue. I've even switched trigger groups with a known reliable shooter (but 12ga., it's the same trigger group) and still the same issue.

Any ideas??

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Look the bolt over real close. On a 303 I had same problem and found the bolt had a very small piece off one of the corners that connects with the carrier?

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Joe, you have probable already check this since you have had the trigger group out, but is the feed latch back under the release latch? If it releases a shell out of the mag it might hang the bolt up. I don't know, just a thought.

Wayne

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Which side of the carrier is the shell on?

5. Tron

It happens with any ammo. Like I said, even if I switch trigger groups, the problem persists (eliminates carrier and latch issues I would think). The action is nice and smooth with no binding. I cleaned and lubed the entire gun.

Any more ideas??

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

inside the tube in the stock where the recoil spring is a small follower. The early ones were made of aluminum and galled to the tube. The later ones were steel. Make sure the tube is clean and lubricated and the spring is the proper tension. Also check the follower inside the front tube where the shells are loaded into. That follower has an option of a plastic follower from one of the afte rmarket companies. motordoc

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The problem is the carrier latch not being activated by the shell coming out of the magazine tube. When the shell comes out of the magazine tube it hits the latch which in turn releases the carrier and brings the shell up in front of the bolt which then closes. When the shell pops out of the magazine tube it is either missing the carrier latch or the spring in the magazine tube is weak and the shell is not hitting latch with enough force to release it. HMB

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think HMB solved the problem. Hap

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

The Feed Latch on the STD 20 has an extra spur on the end that is up against the follower. I had to replace one on my brother's 1980 STD 20 because the tip of it had broken off just enough to cause the same misfeed. difficult to see, almost as hard to find....

Kip

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am with HMB.

11. k80 mike

k80 mike TS Member

HMB IS ON THE MONEY. NO ONE KNOWS MORE ABOUT 1100S AT OUR CLUB THAN HMB. TRUE BUT I HAD TO GIVE HIM A GOOD PLUG CAUSE HES BEEN STORING MY GOLF CLUBS IN HIS SHED FOR 4 YEARS

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I think Kip has is. A new magazine spring, malfunctions with different trigger groups, and malfunctions with new ammo eliminates all the usual suspects.

BTW - Tron, did you try some BreakFree CLP on it?

13. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

curious about what will end up fixing the issue, hopefully Joe will followup with the resolution

14. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

There is a gold colored latch at the rear of the piece that lifts the shell up after the bolt retracts,if that is not released the shell wont elevate check for dirt or corrosion on that latch(sorry I dont know the proper names of these parts)

15. Tron

I will post the fix when I get back to working on it.

BTW, yes, it's been lubed with Breakfree.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've seen this happen when someone puts one of those bright colored followers in the magazine tube. They are soft plastic and after awhile get sticky or wear enough to get wedged and the gun acts like it has a weak magazine spring. Also troubles with the aluminum ones they seem to get cocked and wedged in there too. I think the original sheet metal steel one is the only way to go. I used to shoot some action shotgun matches and that is what I learned.

17. Tron

Well, it turned out to be the follower. I wouldn't have thought so, but it's working fine now with the new one installed.

Thanks much everyone!

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind one problem with the steel followers..... It is possible, after many rounds being fired, for them to start peening over the lip they stop against. This can lead to the base of shells snagging. This is not a common problem, but it has been known to happen primarily with two types of users - those who shoot a vast amount of target loads (and generally the gun is getting worn out by then anyway), and those who shoot fewer, but heavier, waterfowl loads. What happens is when the last shell is fired, the steel followers can jump slightly off that seat under recoil, then hit it. That's why it takes a long time for target loads, but a shorter time for heavy magnum loads )though we're still talking about a lot of shells). The fix is not difficult, but trying to diagnose the problem can be frustrating because it is not obvious what is happening. On a shotgun that sees lighter use, or a field gun that usually does not get the magazine run empty when hunting, I would not worry about it. But this is one of the reasons Remington got away from steel followers, the other being cost. Can't say safety, since they initially switched to black followers, not orange.

19. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Great thread...I'm beginning to notice the same feed issues with one of my 1100s. Looks like the black platic FOLLOWER may be worn and hangin up.
    Cleaned and polished and lubricated the magazine tube & spring even polished the follower...still hanging up...must be time for a replacement!

Smok'n Joe

20. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Why do these followers hang up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.