1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 malfunction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by doublea, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doublea

doublea Member

I am a new shooter with a new gun, 1100 Classic Trap, with a new problem. Today during 2 rounds of trap, the action failed to lock open and stovepiped the empties at least half the time. Is it the gun? The shellcatcher(clip on type)? The weather(35-40 degrees)? The shells( Winchester Super Target)? Recoil suppressor( Mercury magazine tube)? Or operator trouble? Any help or insight will be appreciated. Adam

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Sounds like it need a good cleaning, Esp the gas system parts under the forearm and the gas ports in the barrel.

Jim

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Take out the trigger and look at the retaining strap that is peened along the side of the reciever. Has it come loose? Rick ~~~Texas

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Do as stated above , but if you putting a lube on the mag tube after cleaning that maybe the problem. Wipe it down and put it back dry in this cold weather it can cause it to hang up.

lee

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Birddog: I agree with you. I shoot my 1100's completely dry and use no lube at all except for the spring that goes into the stock...and just a couple of drops there. I shot with Daro Handy on the west coast and at the Grand and he would clean his gun but shot it dry.

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and oiling. I clean and oil mine and shoot it wet. Never had a problem, but I dont shoot in freezing weather either.

Gne J

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Use break free CLP and you will be good to go.

8. doublea

doublea Member

Thanks for all the advice. All parts are in place, so a good cleaning and drying are in order. I hope it warms up soon. Adam

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I shot my 1100 and 1187s with minimal oil in the receiver, only enough to keep it from rusting. But the parts in the gas assembly are "wet", with a fairly liberal amount of Break Free, but not to the point of dripping. This keeps fouling soft and easy to clean, plus the gun can shoot more between cleanings.

One thing to check for is to make sure the gaps in the gas rings are on opposite sides, not close to each other. Also, I prefer to put the o-ring on the mag tube so that it is just ahead of its groove. That way when the barrel is installed the -ring will be firmly up against the gap between the "barrel hanger" (the gas chamber) and the mag tube.

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I will be an absolute heritic here. Burn me at the stake if you want. My info comes directly from the Remington engineer that developed the 11-87. I met him at the Shot Show the year the 11-87 was developed & first displayed.
    Clean the mag tube well and all the rings & gas port and associated parts. Then wet the mag tube well,slide bars,etc. with WD-40!! HORRORS,PAIN,NO WAY!!! Wipe the mag tube/pats lightly with a Kleenex,leaving a thin film of oil. Assemble,shoot.
    Yes you will have to clean it,it will be filthy & dirty. But it will run. If it stumbles a bit,spray a bit of oil & watch what happens. Again,this comes from the Rem engineer. To those who say "run it dry",I say "do you run your car/truck without oil??" You have metal parts that run against each other. They need lube to run correctly. Try it & see what happens. IT WILL BE DIRTY BUT IT WILL RUN.

11. TC

TC TS Member

Welcome Adam, In my opinion, WD-40 is the best thing you can use on the outside surfaces and the absolute worst thing you can use on the moving parts! It is a good rust preventative and a lousy lubricant. Too bad it took me 40 years to figure it out. TC

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I won't use WD40 on any firearm. BreakFree is much better.

13. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

I've shot 1100s forever in about any weather you can imagine. The cleaning is critical. The one trick I've learned, especially with trap, is clean the gun and then use Maas, Flitz, or Semichrome polish on the mag tube and the action. You can even use it on the inside of the barrel and the gas port area of the barrel. Then use a lube/cleaner (like Pro7) and wipe down the areas where you used the Flitz to remove powder, etc., that is still on the gun. Lightly oil the gun and wipe it down good. Put it back together and away ya go. Pull it apart and wipe about every 4-6 boxes just to take off the light residue and it'll will run forever. You can do a quickie Flitz of the tube, etc. when ya pull it down if you're shooting competition and feel ya need the edge but it's not necessary. This works at below freezing up to the hot temps of summer. I tried the wet technique, etc., but Mid-Atllantic weather does a number on 1100s if you're not careful. BTW, be extremely careful when wiping the inside of the receiver. Some of them are like razor blades. MT

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've also shot 1100's forever, and I noticed one thing that you said in your post, you mentioned a magazine tube recoil reducer. I can tell you from experience that they can cause you some trouble.

For one thing, they eventually beat the magazine follower and latch feed up. The heavier the load you shoot, the faster it can happen. If you hold the gun loosely while shooting, the reducer gyrations can cause a short stroke and smokestack jam. This is just my experience.

Beyond that, I too shoot my 1100's 'wet' and use them in all sorts of weather.

Kip

15. PODO

PODO TS Member

Going along with what KIP said - I know of 3 cases where the magazine tube has broken away from the receiver on 11-87"s - all in my family group - took my son-in-laws 11-87 into the smith today for repairs - he stated that he has only had a few cases of this happening and that was with guys using recoil reducers in the mag tube. On my son-in-laws gun I knew he used a reducer - TOM

16. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Break free has been proven by snipers to work well in the cold/ below freezing. Warm weather most any gun oil will work. As far as shooting dry if you only wipe it off with a dry cloth and not use a cleaner the metal still has oil on it and in it.

17. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

If you were shooting the Winchester Super Target 2 3/4 dram loads, I have had this problem, especially in colder weather, heck I have had them fail to open the gun in the summertime, they are a very light load and several are very inconsistant.

18. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Use Remington Dry Lube on the gas system in the forearm and then you will have no problems.The more oil you run in the gas system the worse it gets IE clogging up the action.Also try different factory shells I know remington gun clubs are horrible for clogging the action.

19. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

get rid of it....

20. maka

maka Member

I have both 1100 11-87, like stated above use Rem Dry Lube on gas system. Thats what it was made for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.