1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 magnum Hastings barrel question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I purchased a barrel new and did no use it for several years and would like to use it now but realized that it was a magnum barrel with screw in chokes. Is it feasible to shorten the spring to get it to cyle properly or drill a second gas port? It would only be used for trap, skeet or sportin clays. I had never heard of shortening the spring until recently and didn't know how easy that would be due to timing. I could just keep it and use it for duck hunting or deer hunting but wondered about these mods. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

DO NOT shorten the action spring. The gas port can be enlarged, but that will make the barrel unsuitable for heavy loads. This is okay as long as you keep the barrel, but things could go south if you sell the gun or barrel.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Drill a second gas port hole and tap it for a plug screw. Both holes open when shooting target loads and put the plug screw in when hunting. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.