1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 MAG, hole drilling?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sam (ATA Noobie), Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Hello!

Recently, I sold my 870 and bought an 1100 3" mag to be my truck gun (hunting gun) and thought of using it as a backup for my K32.

Well, impulse buys are a vice of mine, so I picked up this gun before learning that they won't eject 90% of 2 3/4" trap loads...Just never crossed my mind. Anyways, I have a line on an 1187 mag (which I assume ejects BOTH?)

But, it'll cost me 50-100 in FFL's/shipping after selling my gun and buying the 1187.

How many of you have drilled out the necessary second hole in your barrel? How much did it cost to have done, tapped, and a set screw put in place?

I'm just trying to see which method would be more cost effective...new gun or some gunsmithing.

Thanks,

Sam

2. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Sam, I did one a few years ago for a close friend with a 1100 3 inch mag. barrel. DO NOT TRY THIS without knowledge of drilling small heat treated holes! the burr raised on the inside of the barrel required some innovative tools & a lot of patience in order to remove it! The hole was ENLARGED a few thousandths at a time until The weapon would eject std 1 1/8 oz. Trap Loads. A good smith can do this for you. do not use 3 inch shells in this barrel after this! damage can occur or worse!....Jet Boat Bill

3. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Did you consider sending it to Remington along with a letter stateing the problem? Probably just cost you the shipping up there and it would be done right whatever the problem is. Just a thought.

4. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

I did it, found a drill bit the same size as a trap 1100. Drilled it out on same angle.. took a dowel cut it off on an angle, rubbed the inside of the barrel where the hole came thru with 220 sand paper pushed by the dowel. Worked fine. But I am used to cobbling things up from working around the farm. And my machinist friends friends say I am lucky. My advice would be to get another barrel before you break the bit off in the barrel and have to pay an EDM bill; and then pay to have it redrilled.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The hole in a Magnum is in the center, 2 holws in a standard barrel are located differently.

So at any rate you would have one centered hole and one off to the side. I agree about the burrs, etc. Big PITA

I have done the broken bit thing. Buy a barrel.

HM

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Damn, thanks guys.

I wonder if a smith around here would do it. But, it seems like for the $100 it might cost me, it's worth it just to go to the 1187.

That's what I get for the impulse buy I guess!

Thanks,

Sam

7. johnruskinoff

johnruskinoff Member

Hi, Sam I might have one thats all ready done have to check. JOHN

8. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

That would be fantastic, let me know please!

P.S. Will the 1187's eject 2 3/4" sporting loads? I should mention that the 1100 mag will SOMETIMES eject Federal's cheap field loads (when it feels like it) but not even close with my reloads.

Thanks again,

Sam

9. johnruskinoff

johnruskinoff Member

I will get back with you tomorrow, my barrel is a 1100 3in mag.already drilled JOHN

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Gander Mountain's gunsmith shop was doing them for $60.00 plus shipping last year. A local trapshooter/machinist did mine and dead centered the hole better than some Remingtons I own. Did not tap for a plug though.

11. johnruskinoff

johnruskinoff Member

SAM if you are interested in 3in 1100 barrel already drilled out, e mail me in next day or so thank JOHN

12. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

e-mail sent!

Thanks!

13. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

johnruskinoff, did you get my e-mail? I sent it a few days ago.

Thanks,

Sam

14. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Trying the e-mail again.

15. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Eee-gads - STOP!!!

Before you ruin a fine barrel unnecessarily!

Go and buy a used 2-3/4" bbl from a bargain bucket somewhere in the corner of a gun store and your dilemma is solved.

Why is it the FIRST thing new 1100 owners think of is what drill bit to use to F#$% up a totally fine gun and barrel????

16. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

To shot trap who cares if it does not eject.

Mine ejects all my hunting loads. Just load a heavy target load and if it is cleaned and the spring is good it will eject.

Take care,

Jim

17. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I realize it would be easier to grab a new barrel, however, I can't afford another $150 for a barrel.

It's annoying having to grab the charge handle and rack the bolt each time for several rounds.

I'm not sure how drilling and tapping a hole is f&%*ing up anything? Remington had the same idea, and it's called an 1187. I wanted a truck gun AND a backup gun in the same one. If I can't drill the hole, I'll just sell the damn thing.

Thanks to those of you who shared their experiences and gave a real response.

18. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

Sam (ATA Noobie),
    You mentioned in your first post that your other option was buying a "1187 mag" ( I am assuming you are talking about field guns like the Premier. That gun is not designed for target loads either. Most all of my 1187 mags have had no problems with 1 1/8 oz off the shelf target loads but the gun is designed for 3" and 2 3/4 inch field loads. I had one barrel that I opened up the ports to shot light target loads exclusively.
    The target specific 100/1187 barrels are not pressure compensated like the field 1187 are and they have larger ports to allow for lighter loads to cycle. They are for target loads only.

19. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

biggreen, thank you, that was some well explained info.

oleww, my barrel is a 26" remchoke 3" 1100 MAG barrel.

I would say 90% of my shooting is 2 3/4" shells. I mostly hunt ducks and pheasant, but I do goose hunt when I can afford it, which requires the use of 3" shells.

Mostly I wanted a gun I could use for hunting/shooting clays off a hand thrower without bringing out the K-gun. I had an 870 that did the job...guess I shoulda kept it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.