1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Mag barrel on a 2 3/4" receiver?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

Can you put a 1100 3" barrel on a standard receiver and of course can they be made to cycle with standard loads? A friend is willing to trade me a 28" mag barrel with choke tubes for some other gun parts.

I don't want to bother if it will not fit or cannot be made to cycle standard 2 3/4" shells.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. vatrap

vatrap Member

1100 Mag barrel on a 2 3/4

Pat,

That's sort of what I expected, but I was not sure and the barrel is a couple of hundred miles away at a friends house so I can't really check it until we go for a visit.

Thanks,

Mike

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1100 Mag barrel on a 2 3/4

Some very early 2-3/4" 1100s WILL NOT work with a magnum barrel.<br>
    <br>
    Except for those (and I do not have a date cut off but these were made in the 1960's) you can install a 3" magnum barrel on an 1100. But you should not shoot magnum loads in it because the action sleeve is too light. This is the cylinder that slides over the magazine tube. The magnum version is heavier, which stores more kinetic energy than the lighter action sleeve, thus delaying the recoil impulse more for magnum loads and even more importantly slowing the bolt speed. Using a standard action sleeve with a magnum barrel and magnum shells will lead to problems caused by the bolt slamming into the rear of the receiver. This could be anything from parts breakage to cracking the receiver.<br>
    <br>
    An exception to this rule is the special 3" steel barrel that Remington made for the 2-3/4" 1100, and sold up until recently. You could safely shoot 3" steel shot loads on a 2-3/4" receiver, but you could NOT shoot 3" lead shot loads without risking the gun damage per above.<br>
    <br>
    You can, of course, shoot 2-3/4" loads in a 3" magnum barrel, but the lighter loads may not cycle. It is possible to open up the gas port or add a second gas port for cycling, but this means heavy loads should not be shot. 34" magnum goose barrels converted to trap barrels can not be used again for magnum loads unless the gas ports are sleeved and drilled to proper size again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

if i open up gas pirt on rem mag barrel will it cycle game loads

will a 1100 barrel fit on an 1100 mag

will a regular 1100 barrel fit a 1100 magnum reciver