1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Locking block broken ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FlaLagarto, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Took my son and brother to the local club for some shooting yesterday. Planned on letting them use the old 1100.. My brother fires maybe 8-9 shots when the locking bolt breaks in the bolt... I've never had this happen before. Is this something common ??

Jerry B.

PS. Where's the quickest/cheapest place to pick up a new one??

2. msmith

msmith Member

It happened to my sons 1100. Gun was about 15 yrs old with about 150,000 rounds shot. This gun is used and abused b my son. The part is available from Remington. I think it cost about $25 including shipping . Easy fix.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind that locking block replacement affects head spacing. You might want to have a gunsmith replace this part so he can make sure it is within spec.

Going further, is the locking block physically broken or do you just suspect it? Because a broken firing pin can affect functioning of this part. And a firing pin is user replaceable.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Affects head spacing? When the bolt moves foward the locking bolt pops up into a slot in the barrel extension. If it does you are good to go. You can double check this by pushing against the face of the bolt with a long dowel or cleaning rod placed down the barrel.If working properly the bolt will be locked in place. HMB

5. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Brian, oh it's broken alright.. came out in two pieces. I shot this gun for years and with reg maint. never had any problems till this. Guess it just shows that even the best sometimes break.

Thanks guys..

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Scoutman: yes they have two for the 1100. One is oversize so it can be fitted
    to a barrel where the recess for the locking lug has enlarged from wear.
    I don't know if that's something you can do yourself. There is a wealth of
    information on the "I Love my Remington" forum on Shotgunworld.com.

7. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

The over sized locking bolt is stamped with an "L" for over sized.

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

"L" for oversized ? Shouldn't it be "O" for oversized?

9. Brian in Oregon

hmb, quote: <i>"Affects head spacing?"</i>

Yes, the locking block affects head spacing.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Brian, quote: " the locking bolt affects head spacing."

No, the locking bolt does not affect head spacing. In an 1100 shotgun shells head space on the thickness of the shell rim. HMB

11. Brian in Oregon

Shotshells headspace on the rim, but that is NOT the same thing as checking and adjusting headspace.

Headspacing and its adjustment via oversize locking blocks is CLEARLY pointed out in "The Remington M870 and M1100/M11-87 Shotguns - A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. It cites how to properly measure headspace - not guess at it - and how to correct excessive headspace, provided it is within the range of adjustment provided by the oversize locking block.

Quoting Kuhnhausen: <i>"In an 870-M11-87s, the distance from the bolt face to the chamber rim seat is determined by the relative position of the seat and the condition of the barrel recoil shoulder, locking block engagement surface, and the locking block engagement surface inside the bolt body. The effect of seating and/or wear at any of these surfaces is additive and and acts to open headspace."</i>

The initial solution to too much headspace on an 1100 is to use an oversized locking block. As these typically range .005" to .006" inch oversize, the range of adjustment is narrow. If the oversize locking block alone will not correct the headspace, then a new bolt body is used. If that does not work, then the barrel will need replacing.

12. Brian in Oregon

Did anyone learn anything from this?

13. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I learned that I need to carry a spare 1100 when mine gets to 150K rounds.

14. Brian in Oregon

Suggest you post a WTB here for 1100 Locking Block or entire Bolt. You can also substitute an 1187 bolt.

If nothing turns up, you can try Gun Parts Inc (ex-Numrich arms).

Rem parts might have them. Don't have my Rem parts catalog handy on this computer to look it up at this time.

And an authorized Rem repair center should have them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 oversized locking block

broken 1100 locking block