1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 jam

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dagnarble, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dagnarble

dagnarble TS Member

Just put a Hastings trap barrel on my 1100. When I go to close the action the carrier jams in the up position. Also I noticed 1 or 2 times that the bolt does not completely close. Any other 1100 shooters had this problem?? Thanks

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

The notch in the barrel is not wide enough for the extractor,,,open it up with a file,,,carefully,,,a little at a time,,,

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Exactly as described.

ss

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

And post the results here,,,,thanks,,,

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

The previous gentlemen are correct. The Hasting barrel for my 1100 was made to fit the extractor on the older 1100s. I installed the barrel on my Classic & since the newer 1100s have the 1187 size extractor, I had to enlarge the slot in the Hasting's barrel. Did so, & now I have no problems.

I have heard that Hasting is out of business. I have their rifled barrel on my 870 & their trap barrel on my Classic 1100, & love both.HOWEVER, when I received my Hasting's barrel via Shotgun Sports, the barrel was NOT over bored as advertised. Hasting refused to do anything to rectify their mistake. After I complained to them, they blocked my e-mails & refused to answer any of my other attempts of communications with them. Only through the efforts of the Editor of Shotgun Sports did Hasting replace the barrel. Now, I know in spite of a good product, their lack of backing up their products would lead to going out of business. I wish at the beginning of WWII the French would have put up as much resistance to the Germans as they did to my requests. Sorry, I couldn't resist the French part.

6. dagnarble

dagnarble TS Member

Checked the ejector slot on all three of my other 1100's, with the Hastings and they are identical.All of my 1100's are the old style. Could we just have a coincidence here?? What else could cause the carrier to stick in the up position when chambering a shell. A few times when the carrier did work, the bolt stopped short and I had to tap the bolt handle forward to complete the action. So confusing

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Are there any markings where the extractor is hitting the top or the bottom of the notch? While you are inspecting the barrel tang look it over closely for any signs of an iterferance fit.

I'm sure that quality was starting to suffer at the end of production.

Just out of curiousity, have you tried it on any of your other 1100's?

ss

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

dagnarble

Check the fit of the seal rings in the narrel hanger. If they are too tight, it could explain the bolt not closing. Might not have much to do with the carrier though, but could be related. If the barrel is used, be sure that hanger area is CLEAN! A little powder residue can cause some serious issues, since most Hastings barrels I've seen were tight with regards to seal ring fit. I've seen them so bad you'd almost have to chisel it out. A dremel with a brass wire wheel might help. Brownell's has a special brush that is made just for that. The Dremel is cheaper. Put the barrel on the action without the forearm and see how they fit/slide.

9. droptine

droptine TS Member

I just went through the same problem. I put the barrel on an older 1100. My gunsmith had to ream out the part of the barrel where the rim of the shell seats...it was not deep enough and would not close all the way. It only took a little bit and now it works awesome.

10. dagnarble

dagnarble TS Member

Droptine may have got it. I took the Hastings and two other 1100 barrels and dropped shells into the chamber. The shell in the Hastings seems to be sitting a little higher than the others but only by a hair. Could this do it and would it cause the carrier to stay in the up position? Don't want to mess with the barrel unless that is the problem.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You chould be able to check the headspase situation droptine describes with a straight edge.

HM

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I doubt it's headspace if you had to tap the bolt closed. Could also be a tight chamber, but I'd check the ring fit first.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the carrier latch, one of the legs is probabaly broken. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.