1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by weinerdog1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. weinerdog1

weinerdog1 TS Member

1100 issues my 1100 locks open after every shot?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You mean when you load two shells?

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It should lock open if you are only shooting one shell. If you are loading two, the next shell has to come out of the magazine with enough force to trip the carrier latch on the trigger assembly. Take the gun apart and give it a good cleaning and lube, including the magazine spring and follower in the magazine tube. Take out the trigger assembly, spray it out with brake cleaner, blow off with compressed air, spray with a good CLP, and spray off with compressed air. Reassemble everything, (correctly :)). If you are unsure of how to do all this, check youtube for a video on 1100 disassembly (see link above), or read the owners manual. Mark

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Oregunner has it...If the shell from the mag tube does not feed, its probably the carrier or mag spring and follower. Does it load the second round up into the receiver, and the bolt is still locked back? That could be more issues.

Wayne

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Clean the gas ports. You are only getting half the gas you need to cycle the action, so it stops before it trips the carrier latch.

Use number drills carefully and go up in size till you hit metal. Opinions will differ on what final drill bit is proper. A pin vise will allow you to do it by hand if you are queasy about drilling.

halfmile_2008_030318.jpg

HM

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can't improve on what Oregunner has posted.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Just a comment here on cleaning the gas ports. I have owned several 1100's since 1977 and shot registered trap with them for 7years as well as games, hunting and all around shooting and have never cleaned my gas ports other than about 6 times with a toothpick. The times I did that I really didn't see that I removed anything. I shoot my 700X, green dot and more recently 800X reloads almost exclusively. I recently owned 4 1100's and one 1187 that all cycled my 16.4 grains of 700X behind 7/8 ounces of shot reliably. Am I just lucky? I do clean them fairly often, probably 200-400 rounds and they always worked perfectly.

8. Avatar

As stated above, if there is no remaining shell in the magazine tube to be loaded, the bolt is supposed to lock open. A nice feature for singles--insert shell into chamber, hit bolt release, shoulder and shoot, insert shell into chamber, hit bolt release, shoulder and shoot...

If the gun is locking open when there is still a shell in the magazine, then, yes, if you are using the same types of shells that worked in the past, something is wrong. If you are trying some super light load that you have not used before, that could be the reason, but otherwise I would think it's one of three things: (1)parts were not re-assembled properly; (2) something is broken or (3) something needs to be cleaned...

If the problem began when you cleaned the gun and put it back together, check to be sure you have the piston rings the right way around, and that you put the O-ring back on correctly.

When you clean the gun, I would especially clean everything to do with the piston assembly--the inside of the cylinder/sleeve on the barrel, the two holes that bleed gas from the barrel into that sleeve (I just poke a wire into each a few times), the pistons, the tube on which the piston rings slide... When my 1100 doesn't recycle dependably, just cleaning those things usually fixes the problem. Of course, you should also clean the other parts that need it, as noted above. Don't neglect cleaning the inside of the barrel, as you don't want crud to build up in there.

I would look carefully for broken or bent parts. Be sure to check the link. It looks a bit like a "tuning fork" and its two "tines" extend back into a little "cup" in a tube in the stock and compress the main action spring. Once when my 1100 stopped cycling, one of the tines had broken at the end. It had also chewed up the little cup, so I replaced both and the gun worked again. Be sure to check the two shanks of the action bar assembly, to make sure one of them has not snapped. Sometimes, the broken shank will still be in the groove, seemingly working when you manually move the action bar assembly back against the bolt assembly; but, the broken edge will bind when the gun is fired, and the gun won't cycle.

Good luck!

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Don't overlook a broken magazine spring. The second round needs to hit the release tab with enough force to trip the bolt.

10. Murphy

Murphy Member

I was having jaming problem and a friend drilled the gas ports 1 size larger than they were originally. Have shoot 500 rounds and not 1 jam.

11. Avatar

I would be careful to rule out all other problems before thinking about enlarging the gas ports. If the gun once cycled reliably with the loads you are using, it should do so again as soon as you find and fix the problem.

12. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

OK, I'll throw something in here. It may, or may not be the solution.

If weinerdog1's problem is that "my 1100 locks open after every shot", I'll describe a situation that might cause that to occur.

If when the trigger is out of the gun, and you pull the trigger on a cocked hammer, and don't restrain it from smacking the carrier release tab, over time, it could bend the tab forward.

Once it is bent forward, a shell from the magazine tube may not be able to push it back to the point where the carrier will release. At that point the gun will always "lock open after every shot".

If you're unfamiliar with the geometry of an 1100 trigger assembly, you may want to have it checked out by a gunsmith. It's doesn't sound like a safety issue, just a pain in the ass.