1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 FOREND QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hose 'em down, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

I'm wondering what: 1)the material is, and 2)how I replace it, that appears to be glued into the cavity of the forend on this 12 gauge. It kind of looks like a piece of fiberglas netting and is probably used to keep the interior of the forend from charing, only a guess on my part. But most importantly, do I need it in place?

I can't find anything on the Remington site or their parts lists. I've seen this "stuff" in place on many other 1100 forends but this time it is "gone missing". Thanks for your help.

Ernie

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It is indeed fiberglass cloth, and it's there to prevent a crack forming in the thin wood at that location. Cracking is very common there. Some early 1100 forends lacked this fiberglass reinforcement, and Remington was up to their eyeballs replacing them under warranty.

If you want to fix this, get some Acruglass and some fine fiberglass cloth or even screening. Auto parts stores sell various types of fiberglass cloth or screening in the body repair section. The Acruglass (if I spelled it right) is available at some gun shops and from Brownells et al.

3. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Newer 1100s have a brass screw through the forend to prevent cracking. Look on the left side, an inch or so back from the front end, you can see where the head of the screw has been cut off. If so, no fiberglass reinforcement is needed.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The glass was on the Magnum and Target models but not the standard field gun when I bought my duck gun. They may have made ituniversal later.

HM

5. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I checked my early model Trap gun and it has the fiberglass webbing but it was coming off . The glue must have dried so I put some Elmers glue underneith and squeezed it down . Good as new .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.