1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 field barrel won't fit into trap receiver?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SonoraMike, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

What's the story? Thought an 1100 barrel will fit any receiver, and that all the 1100 receivers were the same minus the trap stamping, or skeet stamping, or no stamping for field guns. Field barrel just won't fit the trap receiver, just a hair too big. Both are late 60's barrels that appear original to the gun. Now I'm nevous to go on a barrel buying binge

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If barrel and gun have the small extractor, remove slide assy, and see if barrel fits. If it does, the forend support could be damaged. If not,,,

The barrel locating pin in the receiver might be too big for the new barrel, or the locating channel in the new barrel could be damaged.

3. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

Slide assy is out, alignment pin is not an issue. Barrel measures out a touch wider using dial calipers

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

GET OUT THE EMORY CLOTH-RICK ZINO

5. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I have the same problem trying to put my 28" mod. field barrel on my 1100 Trap.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Magazine tube might be just a hair too large or slightly off center- some emory cloth should solve that problem-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

so sand down the barrel with emory cloth to make things fit?? id rather not 'massage' the receiver if i dont have to. this is also a mod 28" field barrel.

edit to add: actually i'd rather not have to massage anything, opening up the trap receiver to fit a field barrel will make the trap barrel on the trap receiver sloppy, and reducing the size of the field barrel will make the field barrel in the field receiver sloppy. i'm kind of surprised at this

8. Shooting Coach

If you don't want to make anything fit, keep looking. :^)

9. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

not really the point - I'm trying to clarify what I'd heard, that the 1100 receivers and barrels regardless of model (trap/skeet/field/other) were all the same minus the stamping. Apparently there are others who have experienced the same problem. So that would seem to disprove the information

10. Shooting Coach

I have no doubt, that since 1963, some design changes have been incorporated.

I have owned 1100's with original barrels that had to be virtually driven out of the receiver.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The first cut with a reamer is the biggest cut it will ever make... The last cut is the smallest.. I have had exactly the same problem before.. You'll need to fit your barrel to the receiver.. never touching the original receiver.. FIRST.. check to see you have no dents.. or holes out of round on the receiver.. just 1 drop can also cause the problem.. More than 1 gun needed a forming mandrel pushed in it.. and removed.. then barrel fit perfectly.. Some needed the barrel ring polished on the inside.. some needed the mag. tube to have a few small dents removed.. A few needed the tailstock extention polished down on the barrel.. It's not rocket science.. just time..

12. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

Then I've sort of come full circle in a sense, I posted over on SGW a few days ago asking about blueprinting the 1100 receiver/frame (see link above).

What PerazziBigBore is pitching is in line with blueprinting and this makes a lot of sense. I'll get the dial calipers back out and work the 2 receivers over to see what sort of differences I get between them and report back. I ordered the Kuhnhausen service manual, hoping for some detailed info within to help the cause.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Mike.. I'm sure Jerry will have EVERY spec that ever went into a Remington 1100.. Wise move.. Then.. carefully check your dimentions.. If you do your part correctly..Your Remington will be perfect... All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.