1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 failure to feed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wahoo, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

One of my 1100s will not feed the second round after the inital shot because the first hull was not ejected. This is a new purchase for me and when I tried it and found it did not eject the first fired round, I figured it needed a good cleaning. Boy, did it ever. I don't think the gun had ever been cleaned. I stripped it completely and it took well over an hour to clean it was so cruddy . Once I had cleaned it I reassembled it and took it to the range again but it still will not feed the second round. Once or twice it ejected the fired first round but at no time did it feed the second round. This was with factory Federal loads so that should not be the reason. For those with experience with the 1100, where do you suggest I start checking? Thanks.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Did you clean the gas ports in the barrel?? A drill bit and a pin vise works good for that.

Jim

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would check the carrier latch and be sure to clean out the recoil spring tube and replace the spring if it hasn't been done in awhile. A weak magazine tube spring can also cause trouble. There is also a small lever and a feed latch inside the receiver to check. The O ring should be replaced if there is ANY question of it's condition. The gas rings can also need attention. Be sure to align the gaps so they are not together. How they look would depend on which version you have. Make sure that the magazine tube and the sleeve that slides on it are CLEAN! Residue will build up there and make a mess of things. Also check for build up inside the barrel hanger. I use a scribe and brass brush in a dremel to carefully remove it. Worn action bars can also cause feed issues. I usually replace the magazine follower and clean the inside of the mag tube on a regular basis. The follower can look just fine, but it can hang up and cause trouble. There are a host of other things to look at. There have been many threads on the 1100 feed issues and a search might reveal a LOT more information than I can remember this late at night.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When firing one round at a time does the bolt lock open? When trying to fire two rounds does the second round come out of the magazine tube? Are you using Breakfree as your gun lube? Is the first round extracted from the chamber? HMB

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would go after the gas ports.

When they carbon shut the bolt sometimes will not go back far enough to work the feed latch, even though the empty is ejected.

Worry about the other stuff if the problem persists. You need some number drill in the range from 47 up to 41, and a pin vise as suggested.

Don't use an electric drill unless you are manually literate. Getting a busted drill out is nasty.

HM

6. setter

setter Member

More!

7. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

I use a #45 drill bit in a pin vise. The gun's vent holes were pretty clean when I opened it even though it has obviously seen thousands of rounds with no cleaning. Gunk had completely surrounded the action spring opening and had solidified into a solid mass. I had to crack it up with a small chisel and brass-head hammer before I could get it out.

The fired shell was still in the chamber each time even though the action operated so apparently it may not have cycled all the way back.

This gun is definitely a learning experience. This is the first 1100 on which I have had to apply Remington Action Spray and air pressure 3 times in order to get the trigger assembly clean.

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's going to take me some time to work through them all. I've had as many as 5 1100s at one time during the past 25 years but I've never seen one this cruddy.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

"The fired shell was still in the chamber each time even though the action operated so apparently it may not have cycled all the way back."

It seems like that would cause some stove-pipes. Is the extractor and extractor spring wore out? Good luck.

Wayne

9. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Did you take the stock off? that spring is either cruddy or to stiff for the loads you are using. 1100 dont have a compinsater like the 11/87 do for this same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington 1100 fail to feed from magazine

remington 1100 failure to feed