1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Experts I Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dustoff, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

1100 experts, I need some advice. I picked up a 1100 3" Magnum. I knew it wouldn't cycle trap loads, so I bought another barrel with two ports. Normally this makes the gun handle the lighter loads.
    It still won't cycle. I've took it completely down and cleaned it thoroughly. Also, once in awile after it fires the empty gets stuck and I have to remove the barrel to get it out. This gun has been shot very little and is in real good shape. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

The action bar sleeve is heavier on the 1100 Magnum to slow down the motion of the action when the heavier magnum loads are fired. You can go to Google and type in "Remington 1100 schematic" and look at the schematic. It was Item No. 2 on the schematic I located.

I think if you replace the action bar sleeve for the lighter one, used on the non-magnum guns, it should cycle lighter loads.

I'm not sure why fired empties are sticking, sorry.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Where does the empty get stuck, in the chamber or in the action? What kind of shells are sticking? Factory or reloads? I recently went around with a poster on Shotgunworld for many posts about his 1100 not working, and it turned out that he had installed the gas rings backwards. It is much easier to fix a gun in person than over the internet. Is there someone at your range that knows about 1100s?
    Mark

4. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

The empty sticks in the chamber. It did it once with a new AA. No idea why. I've had a couple 1100's and have never experienced this problem.

5. Oregunner

I would polish the chamber. Use a drill and a brass bore brush, wrapped with steel wool. Add a little lubricant, and run it in and out, until you are so bored you can't stand to do it any more. Many trap shooters look for the old magnum guns, as they want the heavier action bar sleeve. Check your gas ports, gas rings, action spring, etc. If you have had 1100s before, you know what it should feel like when you pull back on the bolt handle. Do you feel anything binding? Are your gas rings sliding smoothly? Try running your magazine tube a bit wet. Mark

6. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Oregunner is right chamber should be smooth as glass.. Good Shooting

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I'm not recommending that you start drilling away, but my sporting clays 1100 bbl. has 2 gas ports that are about 1/8" in diameter. It will cycle light 1 oz. loads every time. I had a "knock down tab" welded on it and I use it for ATA doubles. It does not interfere with the shooter to my right.

My standard (I guess it's a field grade bbl.) 1100 bbl. has smaller ports and will only "cycle" heavy loads. I only use it for singles and handicap because it is 4 oz.'s. heavier than the target contour (sporting clay's) bbl., and I like the extra weight.

When I tried to use it for two shots, the first shell would often not eject and get stuck in the chamber when the bolt and lifter tried to feed the next shell.

My gun is a standard 1100 with the usual non-magnum parts. Hope this helps.

8. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

did you try the original bbl at all

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Sound advice above...also make sure the two gas ports are clean...use small drill bits (by hand) to make sure the ports are clear. Scrub your piston rings with steel wool and lube them with Break Free CLP. Regards, Ed

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have an older 3" magnum and it will always cycle my 7/8 ounce loads with the skeet barrel. All 5 of my 1100/1187's would do it reliably. Something is not right and I have never enlarged gas ports. Ask someone who has one.

11. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

If he has to remove the barrel to remove the empty then it sounds like the bolt is locking closed and wont release.

I may have seen that time or two but don't remember the cause or the solution.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you have a hull stuck in the barrel, I would look at the condition of the chamber and the condition and fit of the extractor. A rough chamber will keep the gun from running particularly with the common steel head target loads. Fix with a good polishing job. A worn or broken extractor (or one that isn't fitting into the barrel) will also keep the gun from running. Remove the bolt and barrel from the reciver and check the fit buy placing the bolt in the barrel tang and pushing it home to locked position.

13. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I had a very similar issue first before you do any drilling or changing of the size of the ports. Try taking off the forearm and spray it very liberally with break free lub do not wipe it off leave it dripping or very wet and put the fore are back on and try it mine worked fine after that just a thought if it don't work all you have to do is wipe it off and do what ever else you were going to try

14. Avatar

Are you sure you have the piston rings the right way around? And is the rubber o-ring where it should be?

Is the new barrel new? If not, make sure the inside of the piston sleeve is clean; sometimes enough grime builds up that the piston edges stick or bind--whatever it is, cleaning inside the barrel's piston sleeve does the trick. Oddly enough, I've never had trouble with the two gas holes themselves clogging.

Also, while unlikely, it's possible one of the action bars has snapped at a point that still allows it to move down the slot but binds during part of the stroke.

Make sure both tines of the link (looks a little like a tuning fork) are intact and in the cup that goes into and pushes the main spring down the tube in the stock.

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The older 1100barrels do have a smaller slot for the extractor to fit in. This could be the problem. They can easily be opened up a bit with a small file. I have been using 1100's for 35 years and they are extremely reliable when clean.

16. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Avatar, darn you! You beat me to what I was going to suggest.

What I would add is check the recoil spring tube and plunger. The little cup that the "tuning fork" link sits in. Check both the tube for bends, dings or scratches. If it is dirty or dinged, it might shortstop the action from fully opening and slam it back mid cycle.

While you are looking, also check the magazine tube for dings or gouges. Similar problems could happen there when the sleeve gets a bit of grab. Lubeing it and running it wet might reduce the problem but the base problem still remains.

One thing not completely clear is if the shell sticks in the chamber, has a round been fed from the magazine and is located in the receiver? Is that why you have to remove the barrel? Will the bolt not open if you just pull back on the bolt handle if there is no shell in the receiver?

17. Oregunner

OP has not been back to let us know if any of this advice worked. It has turned into a one way conversation, and guessing in the dark. We can keep guessing, or wait for feedback. Mark

18. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

I have polished the chamber, and snaps caps seem to feed thru smoother. I'll go to the gun club Wednesday and give it a try. I'm going to also try the break free idea. Thanks everyone for your help!