1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 eating it's barrel UPDATE.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

1100 eating it

A couple of months ago I posted this problem and received lots of helpful responses. What I did to remedy the problem was to remove the sharp edge on the bolt locking lug. In a conversation with Doug (GunDr) on another topic I mentioned my 1100 problem and my cure. Doug said that I could put a larger radius on the lug edge without consequence and so I did.

Yesterday I shot two rounds and the gun functioned perfectly. No more indication of gun hurting itself. (Thanks Doug). For those that have read my recent posting about my gun closing procedures, this was why I shot my 1100. I did enjoy shooting it.

Now that all my guns are fixed I only have one more excuse for shooting poorly.
    That will be corrected Wed of this week (cararact surgery). Guess I better start looking for another excuse (LOL).

Thanks to all that responded to my original post, Marc

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    While that may work, I believe it is a bandaid to the actual problem. But if no more damage occurs, then I guess it's a moot point.

3. luvtrapguns

Brian, Gun is in new condition. (1979 model fired very little) From a spare gun , also as new, I have tried replacing every part in the gun except the bolt and receiver. Nothing worked until locking lug edge was eased. It was almost "chisel" sharp. Marc

4. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

The only thing I wonder about is why it worked fine before you put it into storage for an extended period, and then afterwards, started causing damage to the barrel.....

5. luvtrapguns

That's what made it so confusing. Could the locking lug have self sharpened with repeated use? I doubt it. Seems the steel in the lug is a lot harder than in the barrel. Could it have had the problem since new and I did not notice? Kind of hard to miss shiney steel chips in the mechanism(s), and I clean the gun thoroughly every time I use it. All I can say so far is that prior to putting a radius on the lug small metal chips would peel away from the barrel notch and be evident in the receiver. After honing the locking lug everything so far seems fine. I will keep an eye on it though. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.