1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 doesn't always recycle in cold - (Update)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT99Max100, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I have a 1100 classic Trap that I use as a back-up and used it today where the temp was 17 degrees. Update 12-22-11 I shot a round today with 'no problems' the 1100 worked great. As per many suggestions, I replaced the O-ring (I found an abrasion) and ran it 'wet' with Break-Free. The Temp was 39 degrees, cold and light rain. I used factory Federal light target loads (1145 fps). I would like to thank everyone for the very good comments.

John

2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

have you replaced the o ring? They get hard and brittle and in cold weather may leak. One pice or 2 piece barrel seal? I have found 2 piece work better
    in cold weather. Make sure the gas ports are not carboned up.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Take all the grease out of it and off of it. Spray the trigger and the magazine tube,o-rings with Break Free, run it wet.

Ajax

4. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

LUGNUTZ - This Classic Trap has the single barrel seal and all the ports were cleaned before I last put it away. This is a back-up so I clean it every time I shoot it.

Ajax: I've never shot it 'wet', I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all the comments

John

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

John, it doesn't have to be dripping, just coated.

Ajax

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Use a very thin oil in cold weather. I use liquid Break-Free in summer, but switch to the spray can version of Break-Free in winter.

For hunting shotguns and rifles in very cold weather, I switch to LAW oil. Light Arctic Weapons oil. This is a very thin military issue oil and will function in sub-zero conditions. I have a quart of it and it's lasted me well over two decades.

7. build4u

build4u Member

I used to be a pretty good pistol shooter and traveled all over the country. I did most of the work on building my own pistols and fixed many for people as we developed through the sport. When I started shooting the shotgun sports I "fixed" many gas guns for guys that would not run in the cold by going in the clubhouse wiping them off a little and using my trusty Tetra lube. It is smelly but good lube. You should use a synthetic type oil in the cold so it does not get a heavy viscosity in the cold. I had a top shooter tell me that was not what was wrong with his friends 391 when following there squad in a sporting course. I finally took the gun put some of my lube on it between stations and it went from dribbling hulls on his knuckles to throwing them six feet. I would never run one dry.

8. 870smokim

870smokim TS Member

Good advice, I fixed a 1100, by using duck tape to seal the for grip, and the excape holes in the grip. "When in dought use duck tape"

Joe 870smokim

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I always use Breakfree, wiped down, shot dry. When using breakfree I don't think ever completly dry, even after a good wipe down.

Shot today. Was 17 degrees when we started. Took a few breaks. Closer to 22 during the last round.

4 rounds, not a problem. Shot 1oz Estates.

PS. By the way, when was the last time the spring in the stock was changed and both tubes cleaned?

10. Butler

Butler TS Member

Remington in their guarantee, unwritten of course, guarantees that your 1100 will stop functioning at the most in-opportune time (to you) or anytime you are approaching 50 straight,(this rule only applies to doubles) so get used to it, 100's are great shooting guns, and you just have to put up with the quirks that are built in Jim Butler

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

1 oz. 1180 fps loads will work great in summer in any gun. In 17 degree weather they may also fail in any gun. It's not the 1100. Winter temps can really affect shot shell loads especially if your using slow powders. Combine that with the fact ther targes are harder (frozen) you may need a liitle more "oomph" to break them.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Synthetic oil

13. mag410

mag410 Active Member

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    </head>

<body>

My 1100 won't <i> recycle</i> in hot or cold weather.<br>
    It just spits the hulls out on the ground with no care at all.<br>
    It doesn't believe in global warming either. :)

Michael

</body>

</html>

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

All four of my 1100's cycle even 7/8 oz loads in winter. I do use break free and leave it wet. I do not shoot in weather any colder that 15 degrees though, Temps higher than that if the wind is blowing. I have become a wimp.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want your 1100 to be your friend, use Break Free. HMB

16. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I've used WD-40 in all my auto-loaders for years without failure. Hunting conditions, clay target shooting, all is good.

Spray directly onto the gun for heavy cleaning and clean-up with a rag, for light day-to-day use (like when dove hunting in Texas) spray on rag and wipe a protective coating lightly on the gun.

Matt Nicol

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would go after the gas ports. Depending on what powder you use, they clog after a time. Use number drills, and a pin vise, by hand.

Incidentally, mine are larger (#41 drill) so 7/8 loads go through effortlessly.

HM0

18. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If you have used WD-40 or some other parafin spray oil, you may need to remove and clean the recoil spring - located in the stock. Not hard to do - use a 20 gage brass brush on a cleaning rod attached to a drill and clean the heck out of it with some CLP. Clean the spring as well, remove grease from the action bar and rabbits in the receiver, clean the magazine tube - run wet with CLP as others have said. Should cycle anything.

19. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I polished the action bars and use a light coating of synthetic lube.

20. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

you'll never catch my ass shooting trap when it's 17 degrees outside so I guess I won't be testing my 1100 in that condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.