1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Cycling Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dmarbell, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I had the bright idea to convert my dad's 1100 to a trap backup gun. I bought the synthetic stock set from Richard Colley, and it really looks nice and functions well for the gun.

Problem is, and I didn't remember all this before starting, the 1100 is a Magnum model, with 30" barrel marked "for 3 inch shells." The gun won't cycle the loads I tried, which were 1 oz. 1200 fps Noble Sport loads (2 3/4" of course).

A guy at Remington says I will need to replace the barrel with one that will shoot 2 2/3" loads. Other folks at the club suggested springs could be changed, etc.

Anybody know the best and most direct fix?

Remington says it is a 1972 model, by the way. Fixed full choke.

Danny

2. zbag

zbag TS Member

There are two gas port in the barrel that can be drilleda little bigger to let more gas through to help cycle the action

3. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

I have the same gun in 20 gauge
    - would not cycle my reloads used for 5-stand - My barrel has but one gas port-
    solution - drilled out gas port to 5/16" - then cut off recoil spring in increments until about 1 1/2" cut - at that point gun cycles fine
    I also thought of reloading somewhat 'hotter' loads but as the above fixes solved the problem never did it-
    you sdhould know that barrels for these guns are not easy to find

Make sure gun is clean-clean-clean

there you go

4. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

there was something I saw somewhere on how to resolve this without major mods. can't recall where I saw it, need a few minutes to source it out.

tried searching here?

5. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

these links are not what I recall seeing, but they might help

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-103051.html

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9744

still looking...

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have done what you described with a Magnum 1100 also. Went the route of drilling out another gas port but had a buddy who did it for next to nothing. Looking back I think if any shipping to a gunsmith is involved plus the machine work expense I would not do it again. When you add up all the costs plus the fact that most Rem. lovers feel those early Remington barrels were the best barrels made a new or used trap barrel is what I would look for. They can be found here on TS.com for less than $200. You could also shoot it as a singles gun but a glove might be necessary in a 100 bird event. Pulling the bolt back that much gets a little tiresome. Good luck.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The magnum barrel only has one port. The best thing in my opinion is to buy a full choke barrel and keep the magnum barrel intact. Another plus in your build is that the action bar in a magnum is heavier and will soak up a little more recoil.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Put a WTB 30" 1100 trap barrel ad on this website and someone will no doubt have one to sell you at a decent price.

9. kiot98

kiot98 TS Member

The action bar sleeve is what is heavier on the magnum. See the link. It is cheaper than a 2 3/4 in barrel.

Sorry the link is too long

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/PartsProductCompact.aspx?catalogid=1&categoryid=3564&productid=3185&topcat=1038

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I agree, keep the magnum barrel. There are plenty of extra barrels out there.

I have one, and I thought of drilling the 2nd hole, but kept it pristine. I am happy I did, it shoots 4 steel terrific.

HM

11. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

I've had cycling issues about 30% of the time with Kemen Light #8 shells. I contacted Kemen/Rio manufacturer and they told me that the Light #8 WILL NOT CYCLE properly in semi-sutomatics. The lights are fine for O/U or SBT but not designed for semi-automatics...now that's right from the shell manufacturer.

There isn't that much difference in recoil in an 1100 with full or light loads. The lights are fine for singles, but not a good choice for doubles or sporting clays unless you're shooting an O/U. Still love the 1100!

Smok'n Joe

12. Brian in Oregon

There is no need to change the heavier magnum version action sleeve. In fact, some of the softest shooting 1100 trap guns are made from magnum models, with either converted magnum barrels (adding another gas port and fine tuning them) or simply installing a trap barrel. The latter would leave an unmolested magnum barrel that could be sold.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bentley, 5/16" ???? Wayne

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Consider buying another 1100 - a standard model. You can put the magnum barrel on the standard action gun and it should cycle the trap loads; put the standard barrel on the magnum action and it will - or should - cycle the trap loads. Then you have a back-up and a magnum for hunting and be good to go. You may want to look for a standard modified barrel...good for 16s and use the magnum full choke for handicap. You can't have too many 1100s. Regards, Ed

15. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The magnum barrel only has one gas port. A non-magnum barrel has 2 ports. You can drill a second hole (the holes are only about 1/16 of an inch definitely not 5/16 of an inch). I got a bargin on a 3in barrel with screw in chokes and drilled the extra hole myself since the gunsmith had all the tools but did not want the liability to do it. It worked fine but never shoot 3in shells in it again.

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Sell the 3" barrel to fund the 2 3/4" barrel. The magnum action bar assembly is the prefered set-up for trap.

Ray

17. DanLee

DanLee Member

If you're only shooting singles, what's the problem with the magnum barrel not cycling the action? Opening the action will give you something to do while waiting for your turn. FWIW, I use my old duck gun, which has a 1100 3" chambered fixed full choke 30" barrel for long-range games, and it out-performs the fancier guns I have for those.

Dan

18. Brian in Oregon

Dan, if the gun does not cycle, then you've lost the reason for using an 1100 in the first place - felt recoil reduction. Basically you've made an expensive and complex 870.

19. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

See my WTB 1100 barrel thread.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 magnum cycling problems

remington 1100 magnum not cycling