1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 cycle problem!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I found a 1100 12 ga at a pawn shop for $165.00 and appears to have hardly been shot but the person had lightly carved their name in the stock and had not taken care of it. I have torn it down cleaned it well and used steel wool on a wire brush to clean the shell tube and then lightly lubed. It shoots the first round and feed the second into the receiver but not the chamber. It fails to close with AA shells loaded with 18 grs of promo with one ounce of shot. I can put shells that have 21 grains of green dot and 1 1/8 oz of shot and it will cycle like it should. Our resident xpert 1100 man says it is due to lack of use and that it will cycle like it should after some rounds. I don't doubt that but any suggestions as I hate misfeeds. Thanks Jackie B.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have you cleaned the action spring tube located in the buttstock? Then have you checked and cleaned the gas ports and replaced the O-ring?

Next thing check the magazine tube for warp and/or dents. Any scrapes from the action sleeve rubbing on the magazine tube?

Next thing, check the action bars to insure that one of them does not have a crack or warp in it. Also check where the action bars are fitted into the gas sleeve.

Check the receiver where the slots are cut for the action bars to slide in to the receiver. Any binding there?

Those are the most likely things preventing the action from getting the full movement needed to allow the shell being fed out of the magazine tube to hit the action release hard enough to release the bolt to allow it to push the shell into the chamber.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the gun was neglected that much I would bet on the gas ports. If cleaning them (use a number drill that just barely takes metal out) does not do the trick, and the action spring tube is clean and free, enlarge the ports by one size.

I have mine working 7/8 oz loads fine, but I did drill, baby, drill.

HM

4. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Also check the link--it goes between the action spring follower and the end of the action bar (it looks like a tuning fork). Sometimes one leg is a little longer than the other and it will wobble on the recovery stroke and hang which interrupts the cycle.
    I use a paper clip and brake cleaner to clean the gas ports on the barrel--no danger of enlarging the holes.
    Check the alignment of the piston ring and the piston seal--the slots should be at 180* to each other.

Doc

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Spray the mag tube with Break Free. HMB

6. Shooting Jack

Gas ports are clear and made sure the piston ring and seal were not aligned. I didn't replace the oring but it looked good. I have plenty of them so will try a new one. Jackie B.

7. revbook

revbook Member

Jackie,
    Check the follower in the magazine tube. It should be free from abrasions or dirt and operate freely. As HMB offered.....CLP Breakfree is essential to having your 1100 operate smoothly.
    Don

8. Shooting Jack

The follower operates smoothly. I loaded five shells(21 grs of GD) in the gun and it cycled them as fast as I hit the trigger. The magazine tube was rusty initially but I honed it out with the steel wool and it is shiny and smooth. Jackie B.

9. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Caution: Go easy with the steel wool on the exterior of the magazine tube. If you take too much off you will need a new magazine tube because the piston and piston seal will not fit snuggly enough. Installing a new one is trickey and, if returned to the factoy to have it done, expensive.

Doc

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Also make sure the chamber where the gas ports are located (barrel hanger) is squeaky clean and lightly lubed with Break Free. This helps the gas seal and piston rings work properly. You made a heck.of.a.deal - keep working on the cycling problem. Best Regards, Ed

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After carefully analyzing all the clues I think the problem is located in the carrier latch. When a lite weight shell comes out of the magazine after firing the gun it strikes the carrier latch which releases the follower and raises the shell up to the chamber. It appears from your description that the heavier shell has enough momentum to trip the latch and the lite shell does not. So check the legs of the latch, lube it, and see that it moves freely. HMB

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Is this a 3" (magnum) gun/barrel?

13. Shooting Jack

It is a 2 3/4 inch barrel choked skeet.

14. willing

willing Member

Check the recoil spring and make sure the inside of tube is clean.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.