1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Contour Barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DON 3200, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DON 3200

DON 3200 TS Member

Please explain the meaning of the phrase "contour barrel." Does it also apply

to some 870 barrels? Thanks.

Don

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I believe that the correct term is "Light Contour" barrel. As the name implies, it is a barrel that is somewhat lighter than the standard weight barrel made by that manufacturer. The weight difference is due mainly to the different thicknesses of the barrel wall.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

just a note: if you buy a barrel of a specific contour.."light" or regular/target...make sure you have the right forend or prepare for vfitting work...a normal forend on a light contour barrel will be loose

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Don,

Yes, it applies to some 870 barrels as well as some 1100 barrels. As for the 1187, I believe that all of them are light contour barrels, but I could be wrong on that.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Light Contour barrel was an option on 1187 Premier models for a while, then all the Premiers came standard with them. These came in 26", 28" and 30" lengths.

If I recall right, the 23" barrel on the 1187 Upland is also a Light Contour.

1187 Special Purpose with matte or cam o finish guns used the standard contour barrel only. Guns intended for a steady diet of heavy magnum loads apparently did not get Light Contour barrels.

The Light Contour barrel shaves off between 1/4 lb to a 1/2 lb depending on length. The barrel is the same out to approximately the halfway point on the forend, then it tapers to a smaller diameter. This allows them to fit in a standard contour forend without wiggling around. A couple of inches before the choke tube the diameter steps back up to standard.

Light Contour barrels can have their forcing cones safely lengthened and polished. But the bore itself CANNOT be bored at all or even polished much.

When the Light contour barrels were first introduced, Remington had a big promotion for them, and included with every Light Contour model was a big green plastic Remington carry case. Eventualy when the Light Contour barels became standard, Remington did away with the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.