1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 closes when loading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kkbrj, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkbrj

kkbrj TS Member

I have a 1100 that closes while I am inserting a shell. This gun has a timney trigger and have it drilled for a wire shell catcher,this requires that the shell needs to be slid in base first. When doing this it will close and bite your finger, it only does maybe 1 out of 50 times, what causes this? Kurt

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

possible the release latch/lock(unsure if this is proper term) is not fully seated. So when you install the shell its enough movement to get it to release. I have a beat up 1400 that does something like that. A couple of heavy loads through it seems to clear it up, when that fails a good cleaning. Could be worn also.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The carrier latch spring is too weak. When you put the shell in, the base hits the top of the latch and releases the bolt. You can take the trigger assembly out. Then drive the cross pin that holds the latch out. Then take apart and clean and check the spring. You can replace if needed or stretch it a little. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kurt- Many years ago I shot an 1100 with a wire shell catcher. I found the same problem that you have discovered. To insert the shell, you must put in the base first and then slide the shell back. If the shell gets a little out of alignment, the natural thing to do is use your finger on the end of the shell and push it firmly back. This action will trip the bolt latch and the bolt will close on your finger. I know how much this hurts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your gun. Cut the crimp end off of a fired shell and push it back firmly into the receiver with a pencil (not your finger) and you can see what is happening. You need to learn how to load the shell with the catcher in place. The side of your finger will not get caught by the closing bole but the end of your finger will.

Pat Ireland

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Exactly what Pat said.

Kip

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

In 1970,on a rather cold Spring day at the Beaver Lake Gun Club in Rogers Arkansas, I closed the bolt on my finger the first time I loaded my gun. I had to wrap my trigger finger with a tissue and pull the trigger with my middle finger. My trigger finger was pointing up with what looked like a white flag on it. That day, I shot my first 100 straight in singles. There are many things about this sport that are not logical.

Pat Ireland

PS- I would not recommend anyone wanting to shoot 100 straight to smash their finger first even though it worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.