1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Cleaning...How long does it take you?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

How long does it take you to do complete cleaning on your 1100/11-87?

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Every day cleaning 5 minutes, a compleat cleaning 15 minutes...

3. archangel

archangel Member

10- 15 min,

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I concur with the rest.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A quick cleaning of the gas system, about 5 to 10 minutes, because I keep the fouling soft with a coat of Break-Free.

Detail cleaning including the trigger assembly, bolt, bore, choke tube(s) and a wipe down of the interior of the action, 30-45 minutes. This also includes inspection of the parts.

I don't find cleaning to be a chore. I find it relaxing.

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A "wiping down" cleaning? Wipe the mag tube. Towel on finger wiping around inside the chamber. Wipe down the barrel. Run a 'snake' through the barrel with some Clenzoil on it. 5-10 minutes on your tailgate or clubhouse table.

A thorough, detailed cleaning? In your shop, completely disassemble, including stock removal. Soak all parts, springs etc. in BreakFree, using a disposable aluminum turkey roasting pan. Pump spray BreakFree on all parts liberally. Allow 15-20 minutes to soak in. If you are impatient, just go ahead. Use lots of paper towels to wipe debris and fouling from all parts. Use canned air or compressed air as necessary to free gunk and BreakFree from hard to reach places. I don't recommend taking the trigger group apart, but you may do so if you wish (and are confident you can reassemble it). Thoroughly clean the barrel with whatever solvent you wish. Once all the parts are clean, reassemble and lightly wipe the magazine tube with some BreakFree. I'm done. How long did it take? As long as necessary. When I do this, I'm not on a clock. Sometimes I let the parts sit overnight before wiping them down.

The American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) has a very good video of this procedure for the 1100/1187.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Slugo

Slugo Member

10 minutes usually sans the trigger assembly. Easiest gas autoloader to care for IMHO. No big deal...

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Dry weather - Less than a minute. Plus a minute before its next use to add some BreakFree CLP. Sometimes an extra minute to scrub the gas chamber with a Humphery Brush.

Wet weather - Longer.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    In wet weather I field strip the gun and lay the action and then the mag tube over a furnace register. Works well to dry them out. One of the advantages of gas vs electric.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Quick cleaning about ten minutes. Complete teardown, cleaning, inspection, and reassembly with parts replacement as required, about and hour at least.

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I do this:

Every 300 +/- shots, I take the forearm and barrel off and thoroughly wipe the mag tube and everything I can reach, including inside the receiver and the boltface with either patches or paper towels. If I am home, I use a bit of Hoppes or Shooters Choice, but at the Club I just wipe it with dry patches/paper towels. Takes just a few minutes.

After doing that for three "cleanings," I take the gun apart at home and thoroughly clean it with Hoppes, Shooters Choice or Clenzoil, then dry everything off-very dry-no oil at all on the mag tube, piston, or anything in front of the receiver.

I rub a bit of Clenzoil or Breakfree on the bolt area, and take out the trigger and thoroughly clean it (I have never disassembled it) and lube it lightly.

Put it back together and shoot. A thorough cleaning takes me an hour or so.

I use a Boresnake at the Club and then clean the barrel well when I do the full cleaning at home.

My 1100 has never, so far, failed to function properly using these procedures.

I have heard of folks keeping the mag tube wet with Breakfree or other oil, but, on another 1100, that seemed to lead to malfunctions and I followed other shooters' advice to keep it dry.

No problems with my current or other 1100s when I kept them dry.

I don't know if this is the best way to maintain an 1100, but it seems to work for me.

I don't shoot the 1100 nearly as much as my MX-6, but I really love the gun and may just shoot it this weekend.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.