Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1100 Classic Trap winter project

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Santo101979 
#1 ·
Started my 1100 Classic Trap winter project a few weeks ago and it is going well so far. Thanks much to jawinchester for helping out and selling me a great Remington 1100 Classic Trap. The gun makes a great start to my first Trap Gun build.

So far I've received the Classic Trap and the Tom Morton supplied Morton Automated Shell Catching (MASC) and the Morton Gas Operated Recoil Reducer (MGORR) device.

It looks incredibly well made and Tom was a great help in supplying this part. I emailed Tom, having several questions, and he responded quickly and answered all my questions. Tom even followed up with more questions about specifics on my gun magazine to insure that i received the correct version. Tom was spot on, corrected my order, and even included a handwritten note with the shipment explaining why this version is right for my gun. Great job Tom and I cant wait to get the gun out to the range.

I'm waiting on arrival of the following parts to complete my build. Cant wait till they show up. I'll update how things go once things start rolling in and I start installing parts.

Waiting on

J&P Custom Products Spring Kit

Game Accessories Pure Gold Choke set - Improved Cylinder, Full, Modified, and the Pure Gold Case

Speedbump Stockworks/Jack West 1100 Pro Combo Carbon Fiber Stock set w/Auto Buster and adjustable comb

Replacement "Old Style" two piece Gas Piston Kit and Dave's Metal Works Extended Bolt Charging Handle from Brownells

Ballistic Products 58" Soft sided case and Beretta Large Sporting Clays Bag

See less See more
#11 ·
Thanks for the tip SARGE.

I actually found a gunsmith online that offered Trigger Service. Originally I was looking at Brownells, they had a kit to rebuild the trigger. I have rebuilt the trigger on my Mosin Nagant and on my Ruger 10/22. But I was honestly a bit nervous about working on the trigger of my trap gun. After all I didn’t want to have any concerns about safety when standing on the line at an ATA shoot. For the peace of mind, I opted to send it out to a qualified gunsmith. I did a lot of research and came across Bill Springfield from

http://www.triggerwork.net

Bill was really helpful, we e-mailed back and forth and all my questions and concerns were answered. I boxed up my trigger assembly and shipped it off to him last week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

#12 ·
So the first boxes have started to roll in. I got the order from Ballistic Products tonight; I am really impressed with how fast it shipped, how well it was packaged, and the quality of their items.

I was having trouble finding a reasonably priced case for the gun. Once I have the pure gold chokes installed the gun will be a bit over 54” long. I looked around for a while and found mostly cases for muzzle loaders and some travel cases. From what I found, Ballistic Products is the only place that offers a traditional soft case for longer guns at a decent price. I got the 58” case; it seems really well made and was just what I needed.

Here is a link for you guys that need a longer case at good price.

BP Logo Soft Side Magnum Gun Case 58"
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/BP-Logo-Soft-Side-Magnum-Gun-Case-58/productinfo/1311508/

I was also looking for a good range bag. The Beretta Large range bag had a special compartment on the bottom that would be great for holding boxes of shells. When I opened up the box, I thought WoW…this thing is huge! It might be a little bit too big but I’d rather have more room than less. I just checked it out and you can easily fit 20 boxes of shells in the bottom compartment. Not that I’d need to lug around that much, but you could if you needed to. It’s a really great bag, blows the ones from Cabelas outta the water and it’s about the same price.

Here is a link for you guys looking for a big range bag with lots of pockets.

Beretta Large Range Bag w/ Carry Strap
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Beretta-Large-Range-Bag-w_-Carry-Strap/productinfo/689BS66/

My wife is wondering if I’ve lost my mind, how much this project is going to cost us, and just what exactly I am up to. Wait till the rest of the boxes start to show up. LOL!

#14 ·
More good news arrived today.

First, the order from JP Products arrived with the new spring kit. I work in a machine shop and see many springs, seals, etc … and these look substantial. They really look good. Pete at JP Products was great to do business with. I placed an order late on Saturday night, got confirmation emails from him the very next morning, On Sunday! He sent me emails letting me know the items shipped on Monday, and I have them in my hand on Wednesday. Great service from JP Products, I highly recommend doing business with them.

Second, I received word that my trigger assembly arrived to the gunsmith this morning. Tonight, I got word he already completed his work and it’s headed back my way. Wow, same day service is really hard to find. Bill from triggerwork.net received the trigger assembly, got to work immediately, and shipped it back the very same day. I’ll let you guys know how it looks after it arrives.

All the pieces and parts showing up look really good so far and all the guys from each of these companies have been great to deal with. With any luck I may be able to start the assembly process this weekend.
Any constructive advice is always appreciated guys. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Daniel

#16 ·
So the boxes of parts have been rolling in. I've received everything so far and am starting to put it all together.

The Pro Combo stock arrived from Ken Rucker on Friday. I must say that it is awesome. Ken really puts out a great product. The finish of the Auto Buster to the stock is flawless. Ken even includes all the tools, Allen wrenches and a special stock nut wrench (aka spark plug wrench. Totally top notch to do business with. I highly recommend doing business with them any time you have a chance.

Also, the pure gold chokes arrived last night. The guys at game accessories were a pleasure to deal with. Even when the one of the tubes was backordered, it still only took a couple of weeks. According to what their website and some reviews state these are supposed to be great shooting tubes. Well, I don’t know yet but I can tell you that they are definitely a 10 on the coolness factor. I figure I might as well look good shooting bad….

So I’ve added one more modification before I complete this project. I’ve decided to send the bolt off for jewelling. I know it won’t make it shoot any better but, just because it looks good and I can.

Hopefully I will be able to get all of this assembled soon. Going to install the Tom Morton MASC-GORR next weekend when I get access to a drill press and small tooling vice.

I’ll let you know how it all works out.

Thanks,

Dan

#17 ·
PS Since the wood has been replaced with the new Pro Combo Stock, I am putting up the original for sale.

I am selling the original forearm and stock from the Remington 1100 Classic Trap, including the metal receiver spacer plate, washers, and 11/16" mounting bolt. It'll be good to go with all the hardware that it originally came with. I would like to see it sell for $200, plus the cost for insured shipping via UPS Ground.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.