1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 classic trap How are they Sporting Clays ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by battuedave, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battuedave

battuedave Member

I shoot Sporting and Trap and I am looking at buying a Classic Trap.
    Will It have any cycle problems ?
    Thanks in advance for your info.

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have had no problems cycling 7/8 oz loads and higher in my classic trap. As you know, this version of the 1100 uses a flat rib light contour barrel, which makes for a better balanced trap gun, IMHO. JM

3. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My wife shoots one. Keep it clean and change the action spring yearly. No worries. By the way...she is pretty good with it, too.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My Classics work just fine for sporting clays. They shoot fairly flat and seem to shoot where I'm looking. I've even done well with one at skeet. Mine cycle most of the lighter loads, right on up to the heavier target loads without a hitch. Clean it and replace normal wear parts at regular intervals. Break free is a great lube and the version in the spray can cleans the crud off of the mag tube in a hurry.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I use my 1187 trap gun for sporting clays. But, unlike the classic trap, it has the 30" step rib barrel that is backbored. This means regardless of what choke is in it, it will never shot a pattern more open than modified. So I use an 1187 28" light contour field barrel. I prefer a lighter barrel for sporting clays. This barrel is similar to your classic trap barrel, other than length and gas ports.

6. battuedave

battuedave Member

Brian

How is it that barrel will not shoot a looser pattern than mod?

Is this also true when a cyl is screwed in ?

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You don't see serious Sporting Clays shooters using 1100's in any shape of form. If you're just shooting the game for fun every once in a while, it's a fine gun but if you're into registered or the more serious leagues where malfunctions can count against you, you will want a more reliable auto.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

battuedave,

The barrel Brian refers to has 0.018" of taper before the choke tube (If I recall correctly.) So if you put a cylinder choke tube in it, the barrel still has 0.018" choke.

The 1100 you are contemplating does not have that kind of barrel.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Exactly. The built in constriction is .018", which is mod. Even with a cylinder bore choke screwed in the barrel shoots mod patterns. And yes, I tested it to be sure. This barrel is factory backbored, and uses special choke tubes that are marked taking into account the backbore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.