1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Back in the '70s I bought my 1100 with a modified barrel. I have used it for everything from duck hunting to deer. I am now shooting only Trap and am thinking about a new barrel more suited to trap shooting. Can anyone give me advice/sources for this project? As usual, price is an issue on my SS income.

Thanks for your help!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A 30 inch trap barrel, fixed full choke, is your best bet. Make sure it is a trap barrel with a built in vertical lead. HMB

3. JLW

JLW TS Member

I think you came to the right place to ask. I frequently see used 1100 bb'ls for sale here.
    Seems the "step rib" bb'l is the most desireable but most costly. I've read good things about Hastings as well as bad.

I would want a rib with removeable chokes and I'd order a set of Briley; which I have done for mine.-Jerald MI

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Most recently we picked up a Hastings Hi-Rib barrel.with chokes.

Bought it with a young shooting friend in mind. He has not shot it yet but I am impressed.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

IMHO, your best bet value wise and performance wise, would be an 11-87 trap barrel. This has the same step rib as the more expensive and harder to find 1100 trap barrel. In addition, the 11-87 barrel is backbored and comes with trap choke tubes. I picked up one of these not too long ago for $150.00. FWIW. jm

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear JM

The 11/87 barrel will not fit the older 1100. Parts can be bought to swap it over, but it would be cheaper to buy the desired trap gun and sell the field gun.

8. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Hastings is the way to go, however you will probably need an adjustable comb on your stock due to height of your rib.

Dale

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach, I have an 11-87 trap barrel on an older 1100 receiver which I have been shooting for quite a while. jm

10. chromee

chromee TS Member

jm1079 is correct. 1187 barrels do work on 1100s with no modifications.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why not just shoot the gun as is, you use it for everything now, right. I really do not think adding a "trap" barrel to a field stock is going to get you shooting any better. I personally would save a bit more coin when you can and buy a used trap gun. I find the best deals by going to clubs that have a open to public type shoots, no matter what they are shooting. You can usually find for sale postings. I recently stopped by a collectors club that meets the first mondays, these guys are C&R and older things related to shooting. I sent a friend there looking for a SKS, he got a great deal with all the accessories for 200.00. In this area and time you lucky to find a SKS for less than 400.00 stripped of all the accessories. I only recommend staying with what you got because. I have a 870 express field gun. I added a trap barrel, I did a poi test per Neil W. method. I found no sizable change except a slightly tighter pattern. By no means did this improve my shooting. I later bought a used stock and built up the comb with bondo.....no when I started messing around with the comb height, that's when I started busting targets better/consistently. I later bought a monte carlo stock, then I bailed on the home build and bought a XT with adj comb, now fitted with a PFS.

As far as fit 1100/1187 barrels you can find problems with interchange for one 1100 barrel will not fit 1187 forend. There can be slight differences in the slot for the extractor. sometimes the 1100 forend does not hold 1187 barrel tightly. I believe this has to do more with when the barrels where produced.

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks for all the info and advice. I do think I'll stick with what I've got, for now. And keep my eyes open for stuff for sale. The biggest problem is the club I shoot at is very small with the same people there all the time. Not too many opportunities to pick up a good deal on a used gun. Bruce

13. mdshuping

mdshuping TS Member

can't remember his name but he has tons of 1100 barrels. dccorson@citlink.net <dccorson@citlink.net>
    hope it helps,
    Mike Shuping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.