1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 barrel question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Be-rad1100, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Be-rad1100

Be-rad1100 TS Member

Hey guys,does anyone know anything about the 1100 30" fixed choke trap barrels that were marked "Trap mod."? What were the bore diameter, choke constriction, high or low shooters? The reason I am asking is because I found one at a gun store and checked the choke with my choke checker, and it read improved cylinder. I am wondering if someone opened this barrel up. I have an 1100 trap-t with a fixed full choke, and my choke checker reads just shy of full on the gauge. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brad Martell

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

My fixed choke 1100 barrels are .040 for full, .020 for mod, and .008 for IC. The full choke is a smoke pole. Remington is known for great chokes in their old fixed choke barrels. Most of them shoot pretty flat. Mark

3. 333t

333t Member

That barrel may be overbored in which case it could be modified even if the muzzle reads IC. Remington made quite a few overbored barrels with a .745 bore. Full chokes on these guns measured about .707. You really need to check the bore diameter to determine the choke constriction on the barrel.

Phil

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Remington never made an overbored barrel for an 1100, only for the 1187. They did make an overbored fixed choke for the 1187, but to my knowledge, it was only available in fixed full. There won't be a bone stock barrel marked "Trap Mod" that has been factory overbored.

A fixed mod in an 1100 barrel should be roughly the same as a fixed mod in any other std non-overbored barrel, since Remington followed the conventional 12ga diameter on these barrels, which was very close to .729. You should be able to get .710ish off this barrel.

What are you using as a "choke checker"?

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I've only seen a couple marked TRAP-MOD. and they were on 870s. With one of those bbl. readers they checked about 25 to 30 thou. or roughly Imp. Mod. This was back in the late 1960s or early 70s. As per above you need bbl. reader--choke checker of some type to tell for certain. Ross Puls

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tapered bore? HMB

7. 333t

333t Member

Remington indeed made overbored barrels for the 1100. I have owned one with a fixed full choke and another with Rem-Choke tubes. Both of these had step rib barrels. The choke tube barrel came with chokes labeled "full trap, extra full trap, and super full trap".

Phil

Here is a copy of another post that explains further:

Subject: Remington 1100 Trap Chokes-opinions wanted
    Email: mag@ventriloquistinc.com
    Date: Thu, Sep 15, 2011 - 01:51 PM ET
    Website Address: http://www.ventriloquistinc.com

It sounds like you have one of the newer Classic Trap 1100's? The Classic Trap 1100's can use standard RemChokes. A standard Modified RemChoke has about .020" constriction, which is a little more open than your Low Handicap choke. A standard IC Remchoke has about .010", which is not enough to reliably break 16 yard singles targets unless you shoot very quickly.

If you goal is to use you 1100 for hunting, Sporting Clays or Skeet, you can use any standard Remchoke.

There is some confusion with Trap Remchokes because Remington once made an 1100 with an overbored barrel. These barrels were bored to a larger diameter (.745"), than standard barrels (~.729"), and then tapered down to standard bore diameter just before the choke so they could use standard dimension RemChokes. My memory is a bit rusty, but I think they were labeled "Trap Modified", "Trap Improved Modified", and "Trap Full" with no constriction information. These chokes actually have much less constriction than you would think as the markings included the .018" constriction built into the barrel. I can't find one to measure, but if my memory is correct, the constriction of the Trap Improved Mod measured about ~.010" which with the .018" built into the barrel resulted in about .028" for Improved Modified.

8. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Skeet_man,

What you said is not true. I have two Remington overbored (.745) step rib barrels as Phil 333t stated. Phil is correct. The barrels came on Tournament Trap-T 1100s. They are fixed full barrels and they hit targets real hard.

Hit 'em hard,

John

9. skeet_man

Are the gas cylinders on your barrel parallel (1100 style) or stepped (1187 style)?

10. Be-rad1100

Be-rad1100 TS Member

Thank you all for the quick responses. The choke gauge I use is just the flat steel one with all gauges from Shootin' Accesseries, I know it is not perfect but does give you an idea on most factory barrels. It is good to know about the overbored barrels skeet_man, which, if it was overbored I knew would give me a larger reading on that gauge. I am not sure about tapered bore.

Thanks again,
    Brad

11. Be-rad1100

Be-rad1100 TS Member

The barrel in question is not a step rib. It is what people call a ramped rib.

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Ian, there are many factory overbored trap barrels for both the 1100 and 870. They were made in the late 70's- early 80's time period. They were all step rib, fixed choke barrels. They are nominal .745 bores. I have a 28" one on my 870 and 30" one for an 1100 that is factory stamped "mod". Whoever stamped it at the factory messed up tho because it has .038 of choke!! What these barrels do to trap targets has to be seen to be believed. Many believe (me included) that they are the best barrels Remington ever built.

Ken Rucker

13. skeet_man

Well, I stand corrected. I'd only ever seen advertised or heard mentioned the overbore 1187 barrels, and have never seen anyone mention an overbored 1100 before this thread.

14. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

You need to use a bore gauge, not that choke checker thingy. You need to measure the bore, then the choke. Then you will know. Mod will be either side of .020 (.018 to .022).

15. Shawn

Shawn Member

Brad

I shot an 1100 30" fixed choke trap barrel that was marked Trap mod. I shot it for several years. I never did check the constriction but it was a real target smoker. It shot flat.

I am thinking the one you looked at was opened up.

Shawn

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Do the ProBore 1100 barrels count as ovebored?

17. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

the Pro Bore barrels are .735, a regular 1100 barrel, both fixed and Rem choke , is.727

Ken

18. Be-rad1100

Be-rad1100 TS Member

Sorry I have not checked the posts, got busy with Christmas. Hope you all had a merry Christmas. Thanks Shawn and Ken for the info, I had a chance to use my choke checker on two of my friends barrels that were both fixed mod. remington barrels and they both read on my gauge to be close to the improved cylynder, so I think that my gauge is off. I did go purchase the gun, I will have to see how it shoots.

Thanks again,
    Brad

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

My 1100 loaner has a Flat Rib Field 28" MOD, .738" bore and .019" choke. It is a smoker, and like most of these barrels, is pretty flat.

20. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I have 4 30" 1100 barrels

#1 Flat Rib Trap marked "MOD.TRAP"

The bore diameter is .734"

Choke diameter .715"

#2 Flat Rib Trap marked "FULL"

The bore diameter is .731"

Choke diameter .692"

#3 Step Rib Trap marked "FULL"

The bore diameter is .734"

Choke diameter .695"