1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 barrel experts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SB4J, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SB4J

SB4J Member

This barrel appears factory stock. 28" long, vent rib, no mid bead, field front bead. I measured the interior with a my "Baker" gauge and got .748 bore and .728 thru the choke for .020 constriction. The barrel is stamped "mod". The normal bore is .728 (my experience). Anyone ever sees this type of boring on an 1100 pipe? Thanks.

2. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

What is the chamber and number of ports in the mag colar?
    Mark

3. SB4J

SB4J Member

Mark; 2 3/4 with 2 holes. Looks very factory and functions perfect. Thanks.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Did you set your bore gauge correctly with the provided ring gage?

5. SB4J

SB4J Member

skeet man; I've used my bore gauge a lot over the years and that's the first reaction I had, maybe the gauge is loose or out of spec. I triple checked the ga. and still got the same readings. The barrel is not choke tubed. Thanks for the chart rjh.

6. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Factory big bore Mod .745 with a .020 choke if the gage is off a tad this would make sense they made several Mod barrels in 28"
    Mark

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Remington back bored the barrels with .018-.020 of choke so they could use regular Remchokes and their would not be any lawsuit provoking accidents.

If you put a standard skeet Remchoke in it will huff 16 yard targets nicely since the choke would be .020 +.05

I have one of that type, and a full choke in it does ridiculous things to a target, but missing is a little easier.

You can compare the special trap and regular Remchokes to verify this.

HM

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I sold an 870 field last week. I bought the gun new in 1983. Was .745 down the bore and .705 at the end of the non-choke tube barrel. The choke was about 3” long.. This was done with my Baker bore gauge and with the bore gauge of the guy that bought the gun .

Remington made a lot of over bored barrels of different kinds back in the late 70's and through the 80's. I have three step rib 1100 trap barrels (no choke tubes) and all of them are .740 or better and they are all factory barrels.

Jim R

9. SB4J

SB4J Member

Thanks everyone for the verification. I was unaware that Remington made over bored non-choke tubed barrels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.