1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 and 11/87 interchangability?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Need a Remington auto expert! What's the real difference between the older 1100 and the newer 11/87? For example will the stocks interchange? How about the barrels and other parts?
    Joe

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Triggers and rear stock will interchange. Barrels, no according to Remington. Forearms, no without modification. If you check the Remington site for parts, you can see which ones they list that fit both.
    see link above.
    Mark

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just about everything will interchange. Remington will tell you not to, but you can, and I have.

The only issue you may run into is when swapping forends, you need to match a light contour forend to a light contour barrel, and a std contour/target contour barrel to a std contour/target contour barrel. If you don't, you either end up with too much wood in the barrel channel, which will need to be removed, or not enough wood in the barrel channel, which means you'll need to fill the gap w/ something. The only other minor issue is that you can use a 1100 bolt w/ a 1100 or 1187 barrel, but you can only use a 1187 bolt w/ an 1187 barrel, unless you widen (file) the extractor slot slightly on the 1100 barrel.

Really minor issues, and about the only ones you'll run into when swapping b/w models. Stocks will freely interchange b/w 1100/1187/1196/870/Rem 58.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Any one else know Besides according to Remington. Has anyone tried is there a modification or is it simply not in the cards. The reason I'm asking is I saw a 3" steel shot only 1100 barrel and haven't seen any for the 11/87 and would like one if possible.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Skeet man thank you It's just as I thought Remington is CYA with the not recommended.
    Joe

6. Oregunner

I have shot 11-87 barrels on an 1100, but 1100 barrels don't fit on an 11-87. There, that's according to me. Mark

7. skeet_man

You can just use a regular 1187 field barrel (3" chamber) for 3" steel. The 3" steel only barrel was made so you could shoot 3" steel out of a non-magnum receiver, which is a non-issue for the 1187.

8. skeet_man

Mark- What issue were you having? The barrel not fitting on the frame, the forend not fitting on the barrel, or the bolt not closing all the way?

9. Oregunner

It's the extractor cut on the earlier 1100 models that is too thin to fit the beefier 11-87 extractor, so the bolt won't close. The o-ring groove is further out on the 11-87. Also, earlier 870 rear stocks won't fit the semi-autos, as they use the short bolt. Mark

10. skeet_man

Mark- The 1100 extractor slot only needs to be opened slightly to be able to accept the 1187 bolt. The o-ring groove being in a different spot is insignificant as far as function goes. The earlier 870 stocks did use a shorter bolt, but a piece of drilled dowel, or copper pipe, or PVC pipe 3-4" long solves that problem in short order.

11. Oregunner

For those of us that work on our guns, these are minor issues. For those that buy something and expect it to fit, this can be frustrating. If you read the feedback on gun items from Cabelas, it's amazing how often people are frustrated because they ordered something and returned it because it didn't fit as advertized. I buy lots of this stuff from their Bargain Cave as returns, at great prices. Mark

12. Oregunner

So, Explain to me how to modify an 870 rear stock that has a short hole from the receiver, so that you can slide the rear spring housing of an 1100 in and bolt it tight. It seems that you would need to drill out the hole, not add a spacer. It looks like if you drill out the hole, there isn't enought wood left to tighten the nut of the rear spring housing. Mark

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dremel is your friend. (Actually I know Ted Dremel but he ain't my friend.)

HM

14. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Yeah, after a couple beers you get to thinking you could do anything with that dremel tool

15. skeet_man

A few strokes with a swiss file is all you need to widen the extractor slot on an 1100 barrel.

16. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Actually widening the extractor slot and using the 1187 extractor is an advantage in my mind considering the thinner 1100 extractor can be a weak point. I would use 1100 barrels with fixed chokes for targets if I only had an 1187 since I believe those older fixed straight from Remington chokes can't be beat. If you don't believe it just spend a little time comparing them on a pattern board.

17. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Actually widening the extractor slot and using the 1187 extractor is an advantage in my mind considering the thinner 1100 extractor can be a weak point. I would use 1100 barrels with fixed chokes for targets if I only had an 1187 since I believe those older fixed straight from Remington chokes can't be beat. If you don't believe it just spend a little time comparing them on a pattern board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.