1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 Action Spring - York/Baltimore area

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roger8918, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Kind of in a bind, my son has a State 4-H Shotgun competition (25 Trap, 25 Skeet and 50 Sporting Clays) on Saturday and his 1100 just started acting up (stove piping) I took everything a part and gave it a good once over except for the action spring. I called a few of my gunsmiths this evening and no one seems to have the spring in stock. Anyone in the York/Baltimore area have a spring or know anyone who may have one?

Roger

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Clean the action spring tube, clean the spring, stretch it out so it's about ½ longer than it is now, and put it back in.

3. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Rick, that was what I was going to do if I could not find one. How long should it be?

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I don't know the length offhand, but I've stretched mine several times and it works for quite a while. A new one is better, but in a pinch stretching it works fine.

5. Silverhawk

Silverhawk TS Member

Roger, I have a new one. Check your PM

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Spring length should be 15". Brownells can overnight one to you.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

when you get the spring out make sure it has a steel action follower in the front and not aluminum. the aluminum one was replaced with the steel. the aluminum piece at the back where the pin goes through is fine

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Roger try Powder Horn over west of Hanover, 717-632-7844.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Stove-piping MIGHT be a function of the action spring, but probably not. If you get a new action spring in time, it might help, but probably not.

BreakFreeCLP is always a good first try solution, but may not be sufficient.

When I had trouble with stove-piping, I posted here. I got a suggestion from somebody (sorry the name excapes me at this time....John????, but I believe he once did Remington warranty work). He suggested I make sure the extractor is clean, and flexing freely. I took it out, cleaned it up, lubed, and replaced it. The stove-piping went away. Simple thing to try.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

surecycle stainless replacment spring. surecycle.com

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Roger - Please let us know how you made out....what worked, what didn't.

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I have a spring I'm pretty sure. Be glad to mail it to you - I live in Harford County.

Have you tied replacing the o-ring? My 20+ years of playing wioth 1100's leads me to believe a little (very little) lube and a new o-ring solve the vast majority of 1100 cycling issues.

Joe

13. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I think we fixed the problem.

First, I took out the extractor and gave it a good cleaning. Then I cleaned/polished the chamber with a brush on my drill. Hulls are flying out of the gun now!

After his competition on Saturday I'm going break everything down and install a new action spring just to be on the safe side.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Roger8918 - Thank you for that feed-back. I was surprised to learn keeping the extractor clean and flexible was a solution to stove-piping. BTW - I now remember the name of the poster that gave me that advice. It was John Wall. TY John Wall.

I don't know if the action spring is related to your problem, but changing them regularly is always a good idea. And don't forget the BreakFree CLP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.