1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100-ACTION BAR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

REPAIRED ACTION BARS THAT USE TO LAST 1-1/2 YRS OR MORE NOW BREAKING IN 300 RDS, ANY GOOD ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED, ALSO DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN REMINGTON SUPPLY
    A NON BREAKABLE BAR? UNABLE AT THIS TIME TO GET OUT OF CAPITAL LETTERS!

OH IS IT POSSIBLE THE TEMPER HAS BEEN DIMINISH FROM THE REPAIRS! OR IS THE BAR BOTTOMING OUT TO HARD CAUSING THE FRACTURES? I CHAFFER AND RADII THE EDGES SO TO AVOID ANY DRAG AND LESS TRESS ON THE BAR. RETIRED TOOL AND DIE MAN WITH OUT A SHOP.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would say it is thye welding technique being used.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I`m with P3AT. An old weak recoil spring can cause a lot of problems.

Regards, Pete

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Action spring replacement is always prudent. But every time I have to replace an action bar it is cruder, costs twice as much, and last half as long as the previous.

Is Remington using their powdered iron technology to make their action bars? When they first started using that process to make their rings, they were terrible, but their rings seem much better the last few years.

See link above.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What type of ammo are you using? HMB

6. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

hmb, using win 2-3/4 dram, 8's-new. mrskeet 410, very impressive site. its to bad remington don't have them supply the part, but then they lose all the sale on there piece of crap, that sell like hot cakes.

7. trw

trw Member

Just some thots:

1] you may also want to replace the nylon bumper in the rear of the bolt, if it is beat down so that it cannot effectively dampen the blow, it is transmitting excessive force to the action bar as well as hammering the inside of the action. I've seen them split as well, so give it a good look.

2] if someone has opened the gas port in your barrel it may be driving the action bar much harder than it was designed for and breaking it

3] the recoil spring is roughly 15.25" long new, some aftermarket replacement springs only go 15", either way when they get to 14" put a new one in. Stretching the old one will not work over more than a few rounds, if that.

4] some 1100's had an aluminum plunger [the part the tuning fork fits into] on the recoil spring; they can bend and bind the action functioning properly. If your gun has an aluminum plunger, throw it away & replace it with a steel one and then you need never worry about it becoming an issue.

5] clean the recoil spring housing like you would a gun bbl. when measuring/replacing the spring. You can use a pistol brush. It gets pretty dirty over time, run a litely oiled patch through it afeterwards before installing the spring.

Hope something here will prove of use to you. I doubt it is the action bar itself that is causing it to fail, but I could be mistaken.

best regards

8. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

You might think about buying a new action bar from Brownells, they still have them as of a month ago, and they cost about $65.00 and replacing the action tube spring while your at it would be a good idea,
    Jim

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

$65? Wow! Like a said, the price of them doubles between replacings. If they double again it will be more than I paid for the gun, brand spanking new-in-the-box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.