1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 3in barrell

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bills girl, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Bills girl

Bills girl TS Member

what size drill bit to enlarge gas port in mag barrell. 1 port

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

B G
    I also have interest in this procedure, can it be safely/effectively done by just enlarging the port diameter?

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you are trying to get the barrel to cycle target ammo, then you need to gradually enlarge the hole, one drill bit size at a time, until the gun works. It will no longer be able to shoot high powered shells without causing damage to the gun. Mark

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you just buy a used target barrel with the two ports for short money. You could be creating a real problem for someone down the road who ends up with the altered barrel and is not aware of the changes made. Please, think through what you're contemplating. Good luck and shoot safely.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shoot singles and leave the barrel alone.

You haven't lived till you have to get a broken drill bit out of an 1100 gas port. (don't ask how I know this)

Clean the port with number drills, using a pin vise by hand preferably, till you get down to the metal. It might then work with loads that have a goodly volume of gas.

I have seen some Magnums cycle trap loads but you have to use some trial and error.

HM

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My 1100 Mag (early 70's, unaltered, bought new) has always cycled target loads with no problem. If you make the hole larger be sure to take small steps and try it. The best solution was given above: BUY ANOTHER BARREL FOR TARGETS. They are not expensive. Marc

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Bob Hawkes,
    Advise well taken, someone much smarter than I once said, " a person that fixes his own gun has a fool for a client " LOL That certainly applies to yours truly.

Search tags for this page

what size bit to clean gas port on 1100