1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 12ga bolt not staying closed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by battuedave, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battuedave

battuedave Member

It cycles 100% but bolt closes shut once in a while,but still cycles. what can cause this?
    Thanks all

2. LTB45

LTB45 Member

I am trying to understand what you are saying here.
    Maybe a little more detail as to what IS or IS NOT happening..

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the locking lug, it fits into a recess on the barrel tang. Sometimes the recess gets full of crap and needs to be cleaned out. HMB

4. battuedave

battuedave Member

Put a better way,Some times the bolt will not stay open when the gun is empty.

also the trigger will do the same thing in a different 1100.

Must be the trigger and not the reciever right?

Thanks

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Likely a new carrier assy' will cure the problem IF the trigger plate does the same thing in different guns.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Not enough snot to push the bold all the way back to secure it.

Clean the gas ports or use stouter loads.

HM

7. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Had the same problem. Ended up swapping the action bars on two different 1100s and problem solved.

8. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It may be the trigger assembly. I'm not an expert, but I do shoot an 1100. If at any time the trigger is released when it is not in the gun, it will strike the carrier release tab. It is a small weird shaped peice in front of the hammer. If this gets bent forward, and it will, if smacked by the hammer, you need to bend it to the rear, a little bit, untill it engages the lifter (carrier), when you pull back on the bolt handle. If the "carrier release tab" does get bent, the bolt will not stay open. 1100's are very capeable guns. They are not the weak link in your achieving your best scores.

P.M. me if you need more info.

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

My 11-87 was doing that and I put a new o-ring and gas seal in it and it cured it .Jerry

10. battuedave

battuedave Member

It cycles all loads 100%
    light 7/8 to hdc loads

The bolt will not stay open on the last shot sometimes

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If this happens in multiple guns with the same trigger - it's the trigger, not the carrier in the gun.

The bolt stay open becaue that carrier dog on the trigger catches a slot on the carrier at the full back position. The carrier release latch disengages the carrier dog when you either push up on the carrier release or a shell strikes it coming from the magazine. So when the gun cycles, it essentially locks back and then is released forward each time

If the bolt is not staying back, the problem lies in the carrier dog/carrier latch system. Check to make sure there is nothing preventing the carrier latch from coming fully forward in the trigger. This will prevent the carrier from locking in place and keep the carrier dog from catching the action bar causing the action to close as you describe.

Make sure the little tab on the carrier release it catching in the slot on the shell lifter (carrier) to lock it in place. Test by pushing on the lifter without pressing the release button. It should not move.

If that's not it, check to make sure the carrier dog pivots properly back and forth on its pin - I can't think or a reason it wouldn't - but check.

If it's neither of these - then you have a timing problem which can occur due to wear after many thousands of rounds. When my gun did this replacing the carrier latch solved the problem.

Worse comes to worse - I have a spare 1100 trigger I will part with for $125 shipped. That will certainly solve your problem.

Joe

12. battuedave

battuedave Member

Thanks Shooter R and all.
    It was the release tab.
    Thanks again

13. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Dave, it is most liketo be the disconect on the left side of your trigger looking from the top not making contact with action bar,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.