1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100-1187 Stock interchangeability

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longbowsmith, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longbowsmith

Longbowsmith Member

I have an 1187 Sportsman,with the matte finish and synthetic stock.Would like to put trap wood on it. Can anybody tell me for certain if 1100 trap wood will fit? Do I need a certain year stock, or a different stock bolt? Same for the forend,do they all interchange?

I've heard different opinions and talk of light and heavy contour barrels.Does anyone know for sure?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The butt stocks are inter changeable. The fore ends are not. HMB

3. Longbowsmith

Longbowsmith Member

So,I'm assuming since the 1187 is a field gun that it has a light contour barrel and would need a forend from a field gun,or is there further differences?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 1187 has a different type gas system than the 1100. You will need an 1187 fore end or you can open up an 1100 fore end so it will fit. The barrel contour is another matter to deal with. HMB

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

You can use 1100 & 1187 stocks on your 1187. Since you are replacing a synthetic stock, you will need a stock bearing plate to install between the wood stock and the receiver.

Most recent manufacture cut-checkered 1100 fore ends will work on an 1187. The older press-checkered will not work without modification.

Light/Target contour barrels are ~.875" just in front of the gas cylinder (barrel hanger,gas chamber).

Standard Contour barrels are ~.925" just in front of the gas cylinder (barrel hanger,gas chamber).

You need to use a Light/Target contour fore end if you have a Light/Target contour barrel. A standard fore end will "work" but you will have a gap between the barrel and barrel channel and it will not feel very solid.

You can only use a standard contour fore end on a standard contour barrel. You can sand the barrel channel in a Light/Target contour fore end to fit a standard barrel.

Michael

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

1187 FIELDS CAME EITHER WAY. IF YOU HAVE THE BARREL, IT WILL SAY LC OR LIGHT CONTOUR. IF NEITHER STAMPED THEN IT IS STANDARD WEIGHT. OLDER 1100 TRAP WOOD IS STANDARD WEIGHT. THE NEWER 1100 CLASSICS ARE LIGHT CONTOUR. 1187 TRAP WOOD IS STANDARD WEIGHT. EITHER WAY YOU COULD OPEN UP THE BARREL CHANNEL A BIT ON AN LC FOREND TO FIT OVER A STANDARD BARREL. ANOTHER ISSUE YOU WILL HAVE IS COMB HEIGHT. THE SPORTSMAN RIB IS LOW AND THE OLDER STEP RIB 1100 OR 1187 TRAP STOCK MAY BE A BIT HIGH FOR IT. THE NEWER 1100 CLASSIC RIBS AND COMBS ARE LOWER AND MAY WORK BETTER WITH A FIELD BARREL.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If your goal is to have a monte carlo stock, then you do not need wood stocks to achieve that. You can get a synthetic monte carlo buttstock from Remington. Its dimensions are almost identical to the monte carlo wood trap stock, though the LOP is slightly shorter (probably taking fall and winter hunting clothing into account). I have installed synthetic monte carlo stocks on all my field 1187s to match my wood trap stocks.

[​IMG]

This rather crappy photo shows the camo version of the synthetic monte carlo stock.

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Speedfeed also makes one in black. You can get a stock set or just a rear stock with a monte carlo. Mark

9. Longbowsmith

Longbowsmith Member

Thanks for the information guys.My barrel mikes .925 right in front of the hanger,so I guess it's standard. There are no LC markings on it anywhere so I guess I can use standard 1100 trap wood. I'm not to concerned about the comb height as I can shave it down and refinish it myself.

Michael, what is the purpose of the stock bearing plate? Do I have to get that from Remington?

Dale

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

good work Brian

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Remington stock bearing plate. Keeps the wood stock from setting too deep into the receiver and cracking. See link. Mark

12. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Remington makes neck of the synthetic stocks thicker, so a stock bearing plate is not required. Installing a wood stock with out one is a guaranteed way to split it.

It is not uncommon to see a synthetic stocked Remington 870/1100/1187 with a with a gap between the receiver and the stock. Some folks wont read the directions which say to not install the stock bearing plate with synthetics.

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1187 monte carlo trap stock
1187 trap gun with synthetic stock

1187 trap stock

are remington 1100 and 1187 stocks interchangeable

camo monte carlo stock remington 870
do stocks and fore arms interchange from 1187 to 1100 remington
what the stock bearing plate for on remington guns
will 1100 stock and forend fit 1187