1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1100 - 1187 FOR DOUBLES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

DOUBLES ,
    Does anyone use an 1100 / 1187 or any other auto loader for doubles ? I haven't shot doubles yet so I have no idea how it's done . Is it a lot more difficult than with an o/u ?
    Thanks ,
    BILL

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's no more difficult with an autoloader. The major problem that may be encountered will be the proper cycling of the shells. You'll need to ensure that the gun is clean and functioning properly and that the 1st shell used creates enough gas so as to cycle properly.

The only other problem you will encounter are the shooter's that do not like shooting next to a autoloader that ejects the hulls onto the ground. They claim it distracts them.

Curt

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

For your own sake, make sure you ask the shooters on your squad - whether doubles, singles, or handicap - if they object to an autoloader...trapshooters are a very FUSSY bunch! Best Regards, Ed

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot sporting clays with 11-87's. I have a cart that holds all my shells and a spare gun if I ever need them. I can buy 2 of the Remingtons for the price of one of the other semiautos or a cheap over-and-under. I used to use Browning over and unders. I like the Remingtons better. The more others don't like them the more I like them.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

An O/U works best for doubles. You can fine tune the barrels on the O/U for the first bird which is close and rising, and for the second bird which is further away and flat. HMB

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

OK as long as your gun isn't a nuisance to others. Wont last long though. Most autos wear themselves out pretty fast.

7. soup

soup Member

ATAJOHN ,
    Its not for sale . Boy is it a shooter . I'm going to put a Jack West stock on it & try doubles. Did you ever shoot doubles with it ?
    Also looking into a Ljutic . I want choke tubes-adj comb-adj rib.
    Good talking to you John . Stay in touch.
    BILL

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It will wear out eventually. I own two 11-87's. I shoot at least 200 rounds a week through them and have done so for a years now. I am sure one of them will give out eventually. Hasn't happened yet. When it does I will take 560 dollars and buy another one. You can buy a lot of them for the price of one good over-and-under. When they do need fixed it is cheap and quick. In the meantime I have a soft shooting gun that hits where I point it. Haven't had a barrel blow up on me either.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Either of these two models will work for doubles but you need to keep them in top working condition. The occasional jam won't hurt but more than two in a bank of 25 pair and the jams become losses.

If hull ejection is a problem (as in hitting the person to your right) you can get the ejection post modified to throw the hulls forward. That is a fairly low buck fix. Check out Tronspace.com for more details on that.

All said, most people shoot o/u guns for doubles and there are several reasons for that. Sometimes it is best not to try swimming upstream.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I love my browning gold for doubles, I have yet to have some one say I cant shoot on the line with my auto. I do shoot my XT for doubles for ATA events though. My back up gun is an semi auto,,,,,,go figure. Go shoot have fun.

11. Barry C. Roach

When you shoot a Remington autoloader a lot they wear the races inside the receiver until they get razor sharp. Be careful not to cut your fingers when you wipe it out.

12. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

If hulls being ejected on the ground distracts you during a doubles event, you are in for one heck of a lot of distraction.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

there was a gent who made a shell catcher for double ???? I am unsure if it ever caught on.

14. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

It is NOT hulls being sent to the ground that bothers shooters. Its the ones hitting them in the legs or denting their stock that pisses people off! And that is a LOT of auto-loaders!

15. shamlin

shamlin Member

Ken, you have to be kidding right?!

16. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

I don't think he is Shamlin. I know the Remington Target barrels have a deflector built in that I have never seen on an unmodified field barrel. Tron offers this modification so I'm sure he can explain it better, but it is just a pin or weld spot on the barrel at the ejection port that kicks the shell down instead of letting it fly out. My Charles Daly field throws heavier shells 5-6 feet.

17. DocJim

DocJim Member

Old Goat wrote: " For your own sake, make sure you ask the shooters on your squad - whether doubles, singles, or handicap - if they object to an autoloader...trapshooters are a very FUSSY bunch" If you have an autoloader that does NOT throw shells on anyone (target or modfied field gun) then I see no reason to ask anyone's permission. They don't ask my permission to shoot over/unders throwing out 2 shells at a time (like my autoloader they don't hit anyone either).
    They pay their money, I pay mine and if they don't like to hear the autoloader cycle let THEM requad. .........AJ

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Oldgoat, quote: "For your own sake, make sure you ask the shooters on your squad - whether doubles, singles, or handicap - if they object to an autoloader...trapshooters are a very FUSSY bunch! Best Regards, Ed"<br>
    <br>
    Shouldn't those who are overly sensitive to empties hitting the ground ask for their own non-dropped empties squad?

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Barry C. Roach, quote: "When you shoot a Remington autoloader a lot they wear the races inside the receiver until they get razor sharp. Be careful not to cut your fingers when you wipe it out."<br>
    <br>
    While that's good advice, even brand new Remington autoloaders have razor sharp edges, left over from the machining process.

20. Barry C. Roach

I have three barrel dings from autoloaders. One bad enough to put a bump inside the bore. Had to have it removed (not cheap). Autoloader owner knew he did it and didn't even say he was sorry. He ignored me throughout the event. Poor sportsmanship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.