1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11 hp brigs @ straton Help??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Would like to see if this old motor still will run? have mounted it on bench, can anyone tell me how to wirer just to see if it will work? two wirers coming down from under fly wheel go to ??? and one wirer coming of the mag goes to what? is there a easy way to just hook up a hot wirer and ground to see if it will run?? Thanks for any help?? "slid"

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Probably go to grounded switches, like ON/OFF, safety device or a kill switch or all three. It should run if those wires aren't grounded.

3. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

The two wires from under the flywheel is to a charging circuit. Just leave them hang out of the way. The wire from the mag is the kill wire. To kill just short it to ground.

ANy questions send me an email.

Bill Myers

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As stated most likely kill switches. Is there any compression how bout spark?

5. slipping into darkness

Thanks again to all that replyed. around 30 lbs compression, but just found out little to no spark? have another mag, but holes are off, can be drill and used???? "slid"

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

30 psi of compression. It'll make a nice door stop, or fill it full of concrete and tie a rope to it and use it for an anchor.

It doesn't make any difference if your spark is weak or strong. You need a lot more compression, 100 psi or better, to make it run.

Recheck compression by sqirting a teaspoon or so of oil in the cylinder and pull it through with the throttle wide open. If you don't get at least 100 psi, dump it in the trash.

ss

7. slipping into darkness

Took mag oft another blowed engine, drill new mounting holes to line up, and wam hooo. it.s purring like a "Cat"!! not going to be a boat anchor yet? engine I used has been sitting out in the dump because the tranny lock up and I never through about reusing it. well after 5yrs and pumping oil into the cyl's and turning it over and repeating this process for a couple days compression has come up to 85 and is running better than ever. Thanks '"ss"..."slid"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.