1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11% decline in registered targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but looking at the minutes from the latest ATA executive meeting, the number of targets registered was down 11% during the 2008 target year. And the number of targets registered is down 20% from 2005 to 2008. I predict that even with dropping lead and gas prices, the number of registered targets will drop another 10 to 12% (to less than 60 million registered targets) for the 2009 target year.

~Michael

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hopefully the ATA will come up with a plan to attract new shooters and bring back the ones that left. HMB

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Heck, car sales are down 30~40%.

I think it's pretty conclusive - that 2-hole target has just taken away people's desire to live.

4. TjayE

TjayE Member

The cost of shells and targets is the largest factor for the decrease in the ATA registered shoots. This is my opinion.

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

With the price of everything most young shooters do not have a good enough income to shoot that much.Some of the old shooters are backing off also.
    This includes myself.Went from 9,400 registered targets in 03 to 800 last year.
    Part of this we were flooded out in the midwest.

I will still shoot less than 2,000 in the next year.

Bo

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

That's good, Buzz Gun!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some, perhaps most of the blame for the decline in shooting and the closing of clubs is ours. Many of us do little to support our local club and we do little to attract new shooters. When a new shooter shows up, we do little to make him feel welcome. Many times the new shooter is given advice from the worst possible source at the local club. It is not the responsibility of the ATA to promote local shooting, it is our responsibility and we don't do it well.

Try this: Walk into your local Dick's or equivalent (if you have one) and ask directions to the local trap club. Or, plan this: Next September organize a Saturday morning of basic shotgun shooting techniques for new shooters with the help of Dick's and your local club.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Here goes, this may be a reach--but unless you can get your significant other involved in trap, the numbers will continue to decline. When I go away for weekend & or extended shoots, I feel I'm putting a strain on my wife by leaving her alone. This feeling makes it difficult for me to hang around for after shoot activities on one day events,etc. Also, the closest club that offers registered shoots is 97 miles from my house.
    Honestly thinking about moving to an area that has several clubs much closer. I currently belong to 3 clubs. Shot close to 8k registered targets last year & hope to shoot at least 10k,this year. At my age I don't have a contract with God to guarantee me how long I will be able to shoot.

Lou

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Had my stuff packed four shoots in a row last Spring and it was rain, rain, rain. Finally made it to a zone shoot and it started raining in the middle of handicap. We had over 51 inches of rain this year, a near record. Maybe next year.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

An 11% decrease in targets - and that's before a 44% decline in 401K's and other economic indicies over the past few months.

Trap is an expensive sport with a lot of waiting around. Cheaper and faster will help more than anything else - and the cheaper part is hard.

Have the other shooting sports been equally affected? I know that to save soem $$ we go shoot sporting clays. Takes a couple of hours to burn through 50 shells as opposed to a couple of minutes.

Maybe the ATA should get in the "bailout" line.....

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I'd like to hear the sales pitch for trap...

"Listen son, I've got the game for you. All you need is $2000 to $10,000 for a shotgun, $2000 a year for shells, another $2000 a year for targets, gas money, and be able to give up entire weekends throughout the summer. You probably won't be able to shoot well enough to be competetive, let alone win, but hey, you're having fun, right?"

Sounds great, why on earth don't we have new shooters lined up to shoot registered targets?!

I love trap (in spite of the above description of the game), but IMO the game is heading toward tough times. I expect registered targets to be at 30 million within five years.

~Michael

12. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I have to say that Dick's here in Erie,Pa has been very good to Bay City Trap Club.They have sponsored an ATA regestered shoot for us for the pass few years.They donate all prizes given at the two day event.The store manager actually shows up to see what is going on.She also gives out discount coupons that you can use towards ammo.Stephanie is a good person to work with.If you ask,they will even supply tables and a grill to cook on or at least they use too.
    We would also like to thank our other sponsors like Hallman Chevrolet.Dave McCracken, who is also a shooter,donates funds to help pay for prizes for our shell shoot.
    Good sponsors are out there,but its up to your club members to go out and find them.

13. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Start offering a few Sham-Wows as trophies and all would be well within a few months!!........Uncle Sam,Pa.

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

The decline is due to Global Warming, and the Democrats. Bulge.

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Sham-wow? "You know the Germans make good stuff!" Just look at all those K-80s blowing up lately!

That reminds me, Uncle Sam shoots an explosive K-80 AND those dynamite new AAs. Oh my, how long before we're picking up peices of him off the trap line?! I know I'll never put my life at risk by shooting with him again! ;-)

~Michael

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

According to the New York Times, it is clear that all these declines...except for rising temperatures in global warming...are clearly Bush's fault. Regards, Ed

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I didn't see anyone blaming the ATA but shooting sports are in trouble and have been going down the tubes more and more every year ... You can promote all you want and when people have to make a choice to eat or go and shoot, shooting is going to be the thing that gets cut back on or eliminated ... The Global economy is in a state of turmoil and it might not get turned around in many of our lifetimes ... The effects will be felt far into the future and that can only mean that the shooting sports are going to be taking big hits and declines for years to come ... The more people that get eliminated will eventually effect the other shooters because there will be less and less to compete for in dollars and trophys ... People have finally accepted the fact that we are in a recession and its getting to be more like a depression in many ares of the country and will spread like a wild fire to other areas before its all over ... I know of very well healed people who are begining to cut back on things and trying to preserve their own futures and for some that may or may not include shooting sports ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

WPT makes several good points. My smart-aleck comment about Bush above aside, the future does not look rosy with the new administration and supporting anti-gun democratic congress and its leaders Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. I heard that the president-elect once proposed or supported a 500% tax on ammunition. Enjoy the remaining - and shrinking - shooting sports while you can. Sorry for the gloom and doom - and, yes, the sky seems to be falling - 11% last year. Regards, Ed

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm surprised it's not off more

Curt

20. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Time to test your memory...When you started shooting trap, who drew you into the sport? A friend or local club activity? What attracted your interest to remain with the game? I'm sure it wasn't just the thought of breaking something. It provided you with a opportunity to meet great friends. And a chance to erease the everyday problems from your thoughts for even the little time it took you to shoot your targets. You forgot your job, your family responsibilities, and any multitude of everyday pressures and concentrated on just shooting to your best ability. If the game has provided as much enjoyment for you as it has for me, you are a very fortunate & lucky person. Enough b.s., time to shoot! Squad 7, to the line. Break 'em all!

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why is registered trapshooting on the decline