1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I bought an 11-87 Trap at a gun show for a very good price, It shoots good and is nice but I noticed it has about a 2" crack on the forearms underneath side which comes up against the metal. It looks like it has been fixed since there is'nt a gap there just a line. My question is, should this be a concern shooting or is that a non pressure point that should'nt be a factor? Thanks for your imput!!

2. setter

setter Member

I'm assuming the crack is toward the receiver. Remove the magazine cap and slide the forearm forward, then reinstall the forearm, while you eyeball the crack. Check to see if there is any change (i.e. does the crack widen). If there's no change then you're fine, else these can be repaired with headless stock screws and fiberglass.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If the split has been repaired properly, it should hold up well. I would not shoot it until I knew it was fixed. The forearm doesn't really have much load on it, but enough for it to crack, obviously. Some Acraglas and fiberglass cloth would work wonders. You'd have to be sure the forearm has enough clearance for the moving parts. Other than that, if it cracks further, the most damage would be to the forend. Fix it while it's not too bad. You can also replace the forearm, but it would probably cost a lot more than the materials to repair it.

4. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

This was common on the older 1100. The 11-87'S have a reinforcing screw (brass)in the forend. Looks like a brass pin. These were installed for that reason. Most of the cracks were under the barrel where the wood is thin at the steel bushing and didn't carry over to the thicker outside. I recently made a repair for someone (I'm not a gunsmith) and used Gorilla glue. It has held up all small game hunting season for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.