1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 trap forearms?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I bought 2 11-87 trap guns used this winter. After shooting about 200 factory rounds thru each both forearms now have hairline cracks in them. I used grollia glue on them and since there is not alot of pressure there they may hold up but still why would they do that? Is that real wood? Or is it just really thin? I don't recall 1100's having this problem. Will 1100 forearms fit on them or are they different? I can't find a place to buy forearms for them but I'm not sure I want to put new 11-87 forearms on them if they are made this cheap. Thanks

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

are you talking about the parting line thats in the middle of the barrel channel? If so, that's supposed to be there.

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

On one the crack appeared yesterday while shooting it is on the right side about 1 inch long and touches the receiver, The other is about an 1 long and is on the bottom and touches the receiver.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1100 forearms won't fit on an 1187. HMB

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

It's real wood and it is thin. Brownells carries Remington parts.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=116&m=12&mn=Remington%c2%ae&model=11-87+

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I HAVE 2 WITH OVER 15K SHOTS EACH WITH NO CRACKS. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO CRACKED ONE BY USING A DIFFERENT WEIGHTED ENDCAP AND OVERTIGHTENED IT. IT TOO CRACKED BY THE RECEIVER . WERE THE GUNS NEW? IS IT POSSIBLE THE CRACKS WERE THERE OR POORLY REPAIRED AND YOU JUST NOTICED IT?

7. redjones

redjones Member

I offered you one for $55.00 shipped,or you can buy one here for $120.00 plus shipping.

http://www.gun-parts.com/remingtonstocks/

Greg

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Greg I know you did and I really appreciate it and might take you up on it but I don't want to keep buying forearms if they all crack, I was just looking for some insight on the problem. does anyone know if hairline cracks in the forearm if glued back together should be safe to shoot? Should you leave the cap 1 turn off tight?

9. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Is your gun fitted with the Gas Cylinder Collar that seperates the forearm off the gas cylinder? This little sheetmetal part keeps the forearm off the receiver.

-Pat

10. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I don't know. Inside the forearm there is a type of hard mesh attached to the forearm that looks like it is mean't to protect the forearm.

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Pat was talking about part #43 on the schematic on the Brownells website. Its used on the Trap gun target barrels even though there is no gas valving like the regular 11-87 barrels. The piece is required for proper spacing of the forearm.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

any chance your forcing light contour forearms onto a standard barrel???

13. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I just looked at an 11-87 trap on gunbroker that had a crack in the forearm, This must be common with this gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.