1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 Shoots dirtier than 1100 WHY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NJCOP, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Okay here it goes. I have an 11-87 Trap gun that I shoot ocassionally and the old man (Pop) has an 1100 Trap gun. He also has an 11-87 Sporting clays gun and we've both noticed that these two 11-87s shoot dirtier than any 1100's that we have had or the one he currently has.

Any ideas as to why?

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

11-87's have a stainless steel magazine tube while 1100's have blued steel. Maybe the powder residue is more visible on the stainless steel.

I also have 1100's and an 11-87 trap and an 11-87 sporting clays. I use Alliant E3 in all of these and clean often so I do not see much of a problem. I keep my pressure between 8000 psi and 10,000 psi.

Pressure below 8000 psi could cause more visible powder residue.

Clean one of each and shoot the same new factory shells. Do you still see more powder residue in the 11-87?

Compared to the Red Dot of the 1980's, today's powders are much cleaner.

Ed Ward

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The new one-piece gas rings on the 11-87s seem not to work as well. I have replaced all mine with the old two piece rings and they look about the same amount of dirty to me. Mark

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yes, an 1187 will shoot a bit "dirtier" than an 1100 under some conditions.

There are differences in the port sizes.

Most 1100 2-3/4" 26", 28", 30" barrels and 34" trap barrel have two gas ports that are .0790" diameter. The 26" skeet has larger .0860" ports.

The 1187 always has two ports, with these diameters:<br>
    26" field .1160"<br>
    28" field .1100"<br>
    30" field .1010"<br>
    26" skeet .1250"<br>
    28" and 30" trap .1200"<br>

Larger ports are going to let more gas and powder by products into the gas system. While this can cause more fouling, it can be reduced considerably by using cleaner powders, especially with light loads that don't get hot enough to burn all the combustion byproducts. This is why some 1100s and 1187s foul the same, while others do not. It's the powder and amount being used.

5. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Mine 11-87 doesn't get as dirty as Pop's but it is still dirtier than the 1100's. Pop's gun gets filthy. I'm thinking maybe its a gun to gun issue. I'm not saying you could eat a sandwich off of the 1100's tube but you definatly wouldn't off of the 87's.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Never noticed because in mine it depended on the shells used...with like shells I would think maybe the 87's capture more gas for a longer duration in its regulation of the pressure ..other than that I dunno????

7. ctreay

ctreay Member

My wife went from an 1100 Trap to an 11-87 Premier Trap. She shoots only Federal Gold Medals 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 loads. It was unbelievable how much dirtier that the 11-87 was compared to the 1100. She got rid of it and bought a BT100 when we found out that the choke tubes were threaded crooked. The BT stays cleaner than either of the Remingtons.

ctreay

8. CalvinMD

I shoot my 11-87 trap occasionally..never owned any 1100's but small gauge field models so got nothing to compare it too fairly...mine is a fixed full...crushes them for sure on the business end

9. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Brian has an excellent point. I didn't know the numbers but the 1187 does have bigger porting and it makes common sense that more powder residue would accumulate. I've never owned the 1187 but have had numerous 1100's.

Brian, I will save the numbers you stated for further reference when working on these guns. Good to know. Mark

10. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

My 870 Trap says the cleanest out of all of them! LOL Yes, I'm joking! Just because the 87 shoots dirty doesn't mean I'll stop shooting it. It was just an observation at the loading bench.I like the 87 when the tendenitis (spelled wrong) in my shoulder is acting up. The 870 swings a little better but they both crush clay very well.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I dunno about anyone else, but I find it enjoyable and relaxing to clean and oil guns. Like some people like to wash and wax their hot rods.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I find it more relaxing to get the guns dirty - filthy is even better!

But I will agree that cleaning a few guns beats the heck out of staring at the boob tube for the evening.

13. CalvinMD

It really depends in my case what kind of boobs are on the tube ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.