1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdc, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdc

gdc TS Member

My 13y.o. son shoots trap w/ an 11-87 and we recently had to replace the piston/seal. Are there any other parts we should be mindful of w/ lots of shooting in his future. A gentleman at a recent shoot suggested keeping a spare trigger group handy. Any other suggestions? The gun is 20 yrs. old, but was only used for hunting prior to this. Any help or suggestions on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Although this is my first post, I have been reading the forum for quite a while, and find it very informative.
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

have a couple of o rings and a bolt handle at the minimum. a fore end support and a firing pin are parts that would be good to have. these are the only parts that i have had to replace on the field in the last 20 years I have been shooting 1100s and 11-87s. JM

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The best and cheapest source of spare parts is to simply get another used 1187. Just a spare bolt and trigger group can run you 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a used gun.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Above is a link. On the bottom half of the page is the "1100 Notes" in .pdf and .doc formats. Lots of great information for 1100 1187 shooters courtesy of Gene Batchelar. Bill Malcolm

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The actuator fork that depresses the spring in the stock will occassionally break. I have a small tackle box with a couple of these in it. Also a couple of gas seals and compression fittings. Extra trigger and bolts are there also but I have never needed to replace these as the originals last a LONG time. You do not need an extra gun as you can put anything you need in a little plastic box and it's a lot easier to haul around. Rick .... Texas

6. KRK32

KRK32 Member

When i shot mine i never broke the firing pin but did break alot of the pin springs find a ace hardware and you can buy a dozen for a buck and put a new one in every couple months and lowes has the same o-ring cheaper than rem. parts. If your ever at a big shoot and carl hampel has his trailer there he sells the piston rings for 15 bucks a set. Last time the grand was in vandalia rem was selling them around 60 dollars if i remember right Kirk

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I believe either Shotgun Sports or one of the other shotgun publications markets a 1100-1187 essentials kit to cover 90% of the failures you'll encounter

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The extra spare gun is a good bet. Parts are relatively cheap but there is really no way you can stock all of them without have a lot of money invested.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Get an extra gun. That is one big advantage of shooting a Remington. You can afford to have a backup gun. Every shooter, no matter what they use, should have a backup gun.

10. gdc

gdc TS Member

Thanks for all the great replies and the heads up on other sites to check out. This was exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks again.
    Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.