1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 Question.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DODGEMAN, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

I was shooting a line of skeet today with my 11-87 and it stopped cycling it wouldnt even try to kick the empty out. Upon investigation the sleeve on the barrel where the barrel seal is cracked almost right next to the barrel. So what happened and whats the fix?
    Rich De Jonge

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd guess the "fix" is a new barrel? Call Remington, maybe they'll give you one.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The part attached to the barrel that slides over the mag tube is properly called the "gas chamber" on an 1100 or 1187. It is often erroneously called the "barrel hanger" or "sleeve".

This part is soldered onto the barrel with silver solder. It sounds like the joint is cracked, which is pretty rare but it does happen. It might be possible to resolder it, but this will also require reblueing. Costs may be out of proportion to simply replacing the barrel, especially a field barrel, unless it is under warranty. Consult Remington.

4. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Thank you for the info The gun is 22 yrs old lots of hunting and skeet. Small problem is its left handed but I think Im going to order another barrel.

DJ

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Corson's has several NIB 1187 LH barrels in stock. They want about $250 for them. Every now and then you will see one on this forum priced around $150. Not exactly common - I just got a replacement tube for my 1187 LH so I know the problem.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In the old days Remington would replace. My wife received a new barrel when she had this happen to her (she had purchased the 1100 used). Had already shot if for a few years.

Read somewhere they longer do such FAVORS. You could give them a call.

7. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Wolfram who is Corsons?

8. Brian in Oregon

Here ya go...

9. willing

willing Member

Dodge
    Call Remington. I just(during the summer) had the magazine tube on a 15-20 yr old 11-87 come loose. I sent it to Rem and they gave me an estimate and then soldered for N/C and reblued the reciever for $50.00 and no shipping. I would do it anytime you won't be disapointed. Repair took about 3 weeks.

Bill

10. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I just spoke to the head of product service at Remington about this, and he said that this specific repair should be at no charge, regardless of age, evidently.

I have seen this happen only a handful of times, and have sent barrels in for repair for the owners at N/C.

Send the barrel to:

Remington Arms Service Division

Attn: Bruce Travis

14 Hoefler Ave.

Ilion NY 13357

Hope this helps.

Kirby

11. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST EVER.
    Thanks for all your help.

DJ

12. leftex

leftex Active Member

DJ,

If for some reason Remington doesn't take care of you, I have a spare barrel I would sell.

Wayne

13. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

I sent the barrel away this morning to the above address and we will see what happens. It wasn't the solder joint the crack was right through the center of the compansating port running the length of the sleave.

14. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Just a little update, I took Kirbys' advice and sent it back to Remington. I received it back today and it was repaired the invoice stated that a new gas cylinder was installed and reblued. It looks like a very nice job, I will shoot it Tuesday night. Thank you Kirby and and all those that gave advice and to Remington. They repaired a 20 year old barrel at no charge.

Rich De Jonge

15. Brian in Oregon

16. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

REMINGTON IS THE BEST WHEN IT COME TO STANDING BY THEIR PRODUCT. I HAD THE EJECTOR SPRING BREAK OFF A 5YO WINGMASTER RECEIVER. I DROPPED IT OFF AT ILION.
    IT SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE A WEEK LATER FIXED AND BEAUTIFULLY REBLUED NO CHARGE.

PS IT IS WORTH THE TRIP TO SEE THE REMINGTON MUSEUM AND COUNTRY STORE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.