1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 pros or cons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gatguy, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Have a chance to buy an 11-87, any pros or cons for trap?

2. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Gatguy,

You have a PM.

Sandy Holehouse.

3. FIB

FIB Member

I shot an 11-87 was was very happy with it! I keep my firearms extremely clean but haven't ever had an issue with any of them. The Remington's seem to fit me better out of the box than any of the others mfrg's.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 1187 will work for you but the downside is that it will require alot of maintenance and it really isn't a trap gun.

Save your bucks up and get something like a Browning XT or Beretta 682 Trap model.

BTW, I started shooting registered trap with a 1187 an I did pound out some decent scores but I upgraded within the first season because the gun constantly needed cleaning or maintenance. At the time I was only shooting a couple hundred rounds per week. So I can say been there, done that.

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Gee, I must be the odd man out. I shoot an 1100 and an 11-87 and have very little trouble with either.

I don't know what the others call having to keep it cleaned constantly. Every 500 or so rounds I do wipe off the outside of the magazine tube. As for repairs, well other than the action bar on the 1100 going out once, the nylon buffer (rear of the bolt carrier) and one link, the gas rings (dropped and dinged) and a recoil spring, that has been about it. The receiver was also replaced but that was more a problem of a "backyard butcher/gunsmith(?) who caused the problem so I don't count that as normal wear and tear. Those were all on the 1100 which I bought back somewhere in the 80's. For about 30 years it has been a good serviceable shotgun.

The 11-87 was bought off the rack at a Grand in Vandalia. I borrowed it from Remington when the receiver mentioned above was not repairable at the Grand. I needed something so I used their demo 11-87. First time out, I shot one of the best scores I ever shot at Vandy. I went back and told them I wanted to buy it. At the Grand we went through Joel Etchen to handle the paperwork and following the Grand the gun was shipped to my FFL for my pickup. I am still using that 11-87.

I do not shoot doubles normally and basically never in ATA (personal choice) but if I start with good ammo and a clean gun it does all that it is supposed to do (except automatically put the BBs where the bird is ;-) for me on those rare times I do try to "miss twice as many in half the time".

I normally go with 7/8 oz at around 1200 FPS so that is a bit light to work the action on the 1100 but the 1187 seems to handle it fine. That might be caused by the recoil spring being replaced, and being a bit stiffer, on the 1100 a while back. With 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz the 100 works just fine.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Pros---one of the best pointing and most versatile guns out there...with a good adjustable stock thats up to abuse and a couple of barrels for specific purposes ..you can hunt anything huntable and be truly competitive in any shotgun game you care to shoot. cheap and easy to maintain Cons...no real drawbacks other than needing more rigorous cleaning and more often than double barrels or the Italian autos,..not a drawback to me at all. Still my favorite auto for sporting and that other sport requiring pink tutus

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm not gonna "dis" the Remmy but, I'd look at the Beretta auto before I bought it. The 391 Urika Trap Optima and the Urika 2 Parallel Target Optima in my opinion is more of a target gun. But, we know how opinions go.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shoot both an 1100 TB and an 11/87 Premier trap. They are easy to clean and to repair when needed.

They point very well and, unaltered, I have shot some good scores with them. I am not a great "games" shooter but each gun has paid for itself several times over with winnings from "games" matches and bird races.

The 11/87 has an over bored barrel with special choke tubes. The super full tube, combined with the over bored barrel, provides 55 points of constriction. It is not pressure compensated like a hunting grade 11/87 but you can still shoot 1 1/4 oz. 1220 fps "pigeon" loads. Using STS Nitro 27 7 1/2's and 1 1/4 oz of hand loaded 6's or 7's, you can hold your own in many a "games" shoot.

One drawback is shooting at night. The flash from the extraction port can be distracting.

The Beretta 390 series guns are nice guns but the Remington 1100 and 11/87 fit me better, swing better and have (to me) less recoil.

Leo started out with an 1100 and shot it pretty well, I think.

Ed Ward

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Gatguy,
    Get an 11-87 Premier Trap and not just an 11-87. Night and day difference between the two as far as trap shooting is concerned. FWIW. JM

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Love my 1187s. Shotgun sports and hunting.

11. archangel

archangel Member

I've got an old 1100 (was my uncles) which I purchased a comp barrel and stock for. It shoots great in fact I have shot my best scores with it, i have to admit I rarely clean it. I also have a 391 I like it too , but if I was going to choose one it would be the remington. Parts are less and very readly available for example a new sporting or trap barrel is around 2-300, the beretta's is over 500, when I did need a small part I had it from remington in 2 days, and I can fix it myself. The cleaning issue is very over blown for both guns, they are not hard to clean. mike

12. Brian in Oregon

What black stuff? I never get that.

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Another issue with those things(autoloaders),how can you stand all that clattering noise the mechanism makes when it cycles???????.

Sandy Holehouse.

14. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Wow! a little dirt on your fingers and some noise while you're shooting! How can anyone stand such terrible experiences!

Mike.

15. Brian in Oregon

Nope, no black powder coming out of the trigger guards of any of the eight 1100s and 1187s in my household.

Try using a better grade of powder.

16. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

CONS....You get no respect from the guys who swear you must spend 5 grand or better on a trap gun.

PROS. softest recoil, crushes targets, plentiful and cheap parts and accessories, spares etc. Versatile too- swap on a 3" field barrel and go turkey, goose or deer hunting.

best PRO. Beating guys who spend 5 grand plus for trap guns

I had a 3200, XT and a 303. sold em all after I borrowed an 1187 and shot just as good or better with a lot less weight and recoil.

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't shoot an 1100 or 1187 anymore,(had both)(personal preference is a pump M.31 Rem.) no problems, just use good powder & primers and clean it every couple 1000 rounds. Wife also shot an 1100 until she quit shooting. Having shot & (watched others) most self loaders on the mkt. if I were to go back to a self loader it would most likely be an 1100. Good Luck & ENJOY whatever you choose. Ross Puls

18. Brian in Oregon

You'll probably have to clean it every 600 rounds if you use cheap promotional loads from Mao Mart. If you use premium shells or reload with clean burning powder you can extend the cleaning time.

If you shoot with the gas action "wet" with BreakFree, the gun is much easier to clean as the fouling will be soft. It's the hard crusty stuff that's hard to clean. It's easier to clean more frequently before the hard stuff forms, than it is to put it off and have to chip and scrape it away.

Use only as much oil in the receiver as it takes to prevent rust. The receiver does not need oil to operate.

19. archangel

archangel Member

For got to add: can shoot the 1100 all day with out getting a sore shoulder: can,t do that with my bt99.

20. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Thanks to all for your input.
    archangel, yes, the recoil is starting to beat me up with my trusty BT; I've had a stroke and only recently able to shoot again, as I shoot more singles than caps, I'm looking to get an 'easier' gun on my shoulder and neck (much damage in that area). I can handle doing the h'cap with the BT.
    Dick C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.