1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 PROBLEMS, NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emb120, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emb120

emb120 TS Member

I can't unload a chambered shell. Seems to lock up about half the time. Gun is clean and does not jam up until you have a shell in the chamber. Any advise on this problem? Thanks

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check the action spring, link, and follower to be sure that nothing is binding and that it's all clean and lubricated. Does the bolt move back part way or is the round stuck solidly in the chamber? Does the shell slip in and out of the chamber easily, or is the shell a real tight fit? Does it fire and eject properly? A real thorough cleaning and inspection might be the first step.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you close the bolt on an 11-87 the bolt locks in place. Most people do not realize this. There is a locking lug in the center of the bolt which rises up into a slot in the barrel and locks the bolt closed. This lug is not releasing when you pull the bolt handle back. You will have to remove the bolt and check it. A common cause of this could be a broken firing pin spring.

If you are using reladed ammo another cause could be improperly resized ammo. HMB

4. bill2

bill2 Member

HMB, I had the problem with a 1100. I had changed forearms and some how caused binding or gas port obstruction. This gun had not had a FTF in 32 years until I worked on it. I was down sizing to another stock and forearm for my grandson. I have never concluded why the bolt could not be opened manually in the instance of lockup. I went back to the original forearm. So you might want to inspect forearm fit and mechanics. V/R bill

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Could be as simple as: If this occurs with reloads, the case is not full length resized and is causing the problem. The bolt will lock in battery due to the force of the bolt coming forward. The bolt will not open manually by hand due to the oversized case.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The comments re: case sizing above are "right on" as the possible culprit...in addition to REALLY scrubbing the chamber with steel wool to polish and remove any possible rust. This is especially true if steel head hulls like Remington Gun Clubs are being reloaded. I found that even after resizing, the steel heads somehow "sprung" back out of the resized dimension. The fix was to size them even more with my MEC loader, but I eventually gave up on the steel head hulls and stuck with only those with a brass head. Best Regards, Ed

7. emb120

emb120 TS Member

Thanks for all the input. The gun cycles when fired. I only use new estate shells. The handle on the bolt does come back within its slot about 1/2 inch but will not unlock from battery. It takes way too much force to unlock it from battery and sometimes its impossible. The shells don't get stuck inside the chamber. I'll check the things mentioned above I do greatly appreciate all the help. Thank you, Jason

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

1100s and 11-87s. If it is locked up, push the carrier up and push forward on the follower. If the follower is coming back too far, the interceptor latch cannot rise up to let the disconnector also rise up, which locks the action. After the "plastic" follower gets a little older, it has a tendency to come back farther than it should. Change to a follower made of stainless.

9. emb120

emb120 TS Member

Laryjk,
    Forgive my ignorance. What is the carrier and follower?
    Thanks,
    Jason

10. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

The carrier is on the bottom, and is what lifts the shell up when the action closes. The release button is in the rear of the carrier.

The follower is the plug that pushes the shell out of the magazine tube - or what you push in when you put a shell into the magazine.

I agree with Larryjk - I have experienced this on my 1100 and seen it on an 11-87. The guy with the 11-87 used to put the butt on the ground and step on the bolt handle to open it. Replacing the follower fixed both guns.

John

11. Dakota Slim

Dakota Slim TS Member

I have the same problem with my 11-87. That is, with a loaded shell in the chamber I can not eject it. The bolt comes back about an inch and will not go back any further. I doubt that it can be forced. The bolt will go forward again and lock. This happens with or without other shells in the magazine.

If the gun is fired, the shell is ejected and if there is another shell in the magazine it loads as it should. If I fire the last shell the bolt stays open as it should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 problems

1187 bolt locked forward

1187 jammed with empty shell in chamber

polishing chamber on 11-87

remington 11-87 bolt stuck closed

remington 1187 action locking up
remington 1187 problems
what can cause a remington 11-87 to not discharge the shell upon shooting