1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have one of the local Sporties guns that has a problem (20ga). The bolt will not stay open when pulled back and it will not feed the second shell. It has to be something with the trigger assembly because I've switched it out with one of my 20's and all is well....but when I compair the two triggers, I can't see any difference. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

Any help??

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Had that happen on a 303, it was the paw on the carrier

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You have a broken carrier latch.

4. Tron

That's what I thought, but it isn't broken. I have a feeling that this guy isn't telling me everything....like maybe he's been monkeying with it, but I can't see where the problem is.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tron, take the bolt out and compare it with yours, it may have a lug sheared

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Tron, I had exactly the same problem with a 12ga. 1100. Took it to the Remington Factory Reps at the Grand. They thought they fixed it with a new action spring and inspection. I almost left for home without trying it out...the first fix "didn't take" - it would feed a second shot, but not lock the bolt open after the last shot fired. I took it back and they reluctantly took it out on the practice field and verified the problem. I believe they replaced the latch which is staked in place in the receiver and adjusted another latch on the trigger. The second "fix" worked - verified by test firing. To their credit, they did not charge me for the final work or parts. Best Regards, Ed PS I really like the stock you sold me...finishing it now.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If the bolt will not stay open, it's "almost" always the carrier latch and/or the carrier.

Did you remove the latch and look at it carefully? Sometimes one of the pivot holes will crack and cause the latch to tip slightly when under pressure from the bolt coming forward.

If it's not a broken latch, replace the carrier. They do get bent. You cannot see the bend, even when laying it side by side with a new one.

See how you've replace the trigger assy, try just swapping the carriers, then the latches.

Doug Braker

8. Tron

OK, I'm onto something here....but still perplexed. There is a tang on the carrier that is bent too far inward and catches on the carrier latch. When I unbend it, it's fine for about 4 cycles, then it bends itself back inwards and catches on the latch again. Now, when I stick the other trigger in this gun, it does not bend the latch, so it has to be something in the trigger assembly.

Any help??

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I just repaired an 1187 for a friend with the same problem. Get a new carrier assembly. You probably have some damage on the rounded tab over on the right side of the carrier as well. Looks like you got the trigger group cleaned up pretty well but large chunks of residue promote this failure.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Tron - you need to change the latch. I had an 1100 that would produce exactly what you show i the picture - had to change the latch every few 1000 rounds. Eventually I just bought a new trigger assembly for it and use the other for parts.

Joe

11. Tron

OK, it seems to be the carrier and latch. Other than Remington, where's a good source for those 2 parts??

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Get the entire carrier assembly from Brownells. Order online and use the schematic to generate the order. Very fast, easy.

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

That will work....

14. Tron

Not available from Brownell's....I tried.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Joe,

Try Midway USA (www.midwayusa.com) or a local Gander Mountain. If you look up the Remington part numbers on their website, you can call Midway and see if they have it. They sometimes don't show up on their site search tool. The Gander Mountain I frequent locally has a good selection of Remington parts. I usually order from Remington, but they do take a little time to process and ship.

You can try the dealer locator on Remington's website (link above). Select "Parts" and you can get a list of dealers around your neck of the woods.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tron,

www.e-gunparts.com has the carrier latch for $6.60. HMB

17. Tron

Man, I wish that I would have known that yesterday, because I tried several places and ended up having to deal with Remington....the automated message said "at the tone, please bend over".

Tron =(

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You need to be careful about ordering from www.e-gunparts.com. They sell a lot of used parts. Trigger parts like the carrier are something I would rather have new. That would give me a known good part rather than a used part that may have the same defect as the one I'm replacing. I bought a LOT of parts from Numrich Arms over the years, which is essentially E-Gunparts. They are a good company to deal with, but you need to be sure of what you are getting. I used to go there and pick through the barrels they had and find enough parts to put together a beater rifle or two. I used to live less than an hour away from them. The reason I mentioned Gander Mountain was simply that my local store has a lot of parts in stock. I haven't asked for 20ga parts, but they had quite a bit for the 12ga, including the carrier and latch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.