1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 Premier Trap Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cubancigar2000, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

yes

2. cubancigar2000

they work in mine

3. cubancigar2000

4. cubancigar2000

they work in mine

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

They may work but seems to me a little bit of a punishment for the action????The target barrels allow more gas in to cycle the action for the lighter loads, no. using such high dram loads may put a pounding on your action? especially with a weak or ageing spring?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 11-87 gas system is self compensating. It only uses what is needed to operate the action. If the barrel on the gun does not have the regulated gas system and is marked target use light loads only. HMB

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING BUT VERY LIGHT FIELD LOADS IN AN 1187 TRAP BARREL.<br>
    <br>
    To put an end to the contradictory advice in previous posts, here is the official word from Remington:<br>
    <br>
    Question: Can I shoot field loads through my 1187 target barrel?<br>
    <br>
    Answer: All Model 1187 target barrels are stamped "FOR USE WITH TARGET LOADS ONLY". Target barrels are not pressure compensated. The gas orifice holes are over sized to allow the action to cycle with light loads. Firing heavier field loads will result in excessive wear on internal components.<br>
    <br>
    Question: How can I convert my 1187 Trap or Skeet for hunting use?<br>
    <br>
    Answer: With the exception of the 1187 Super Magnum, all Model 1187 receivers are basically the same. The barrel shipped with the shotgun will determine what can be shot from it. You can retrofit any right hand Model 1187 barrel to any right hand Model 1187 receiver within gauge.<br>
    <br>
    In order to shoot field loads in a target shotgun you must fit it with a magnum field barrel. They are completely interchangeable and require no special training or tools to do the job. Refer to the Model 1187 owner's manual.<br>
    <br>
    So, that's exactly what I do to shoot heavier loads from my 1187 trap gun. I simply install a 28" pressure compensated field barrel.<br>
    <br>
    As for my advice that "very light" field loads can be shot, it would be those that are in the load range of a heavy trap load. At one time Remington had a specified limit, and it was UNDER 3-1/4 dram, 1-1/4 ounce. They've changed that now to just say "field loads", regardless of actual loading.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

You may safely shoot target loads including “heavy” (1 1/8 -1200 fps), “handicap” (1 1/8 1250fps) and “pigeon” (1 ¼ - 1220 fps) target loads in the 11/87 Premier Trap. The Remington literature used to say this.

I own and have shot an 11/87 Premier Trap for many years. The gun was purchased in 1987 by another shooter who sold it to me in 1989 because he wanted to use it for “games” and their associated heavier loads.

I know of a shooter who used one for a while with 3 ¾ -1 ¼ and heavier loads and transformed it into junk.

IMO, The 11/87, with its stainless steel magazine tube, will shoot longer than a regular 1100 before it will shoot no more. This allows an 11/87 to damage itself while the 1100 is more forgiving. Clean your 11/87 after every 500 or so rounds.

Ed Ward

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Request a Catalog

Partners

Online Help Center

Retail Locator

About Us

Home > Support > Online Help Center
    Answers

Ask a Question

My Stuff

Login

Help

Search by Product

All AccessoriesAmmunitionFirearmsHistoryLaw EnforcementOther
    All Subs Centerfire RiflesCustom ShopMuzzleloadersParts & RepairRimfire RiflesShotgunsSpartan Gunworks

Search by Keyword Search Tips?

Answer ID

Products
    Firearms

Shotguns

Date Created
    03/29/2000 04:45 PM

Print Answer

Email Answer Can I shoot field loads through my 1187 target barrel?

Question
    Can I shoot field loads through my 1187 target barrel?

Answer
    All Model 1187 target barrels are stamped "FOR USE WITH TARGET LOADS ONLY". Target barrels are not pressure compensated. The gas orifice holes are over sized to allow the action to cycle with light loads. Firing heavier field loads will result in excessive wear on internal components.

How well did this answer your question?
    100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

Answer ID

Products
    Firearms

Shotguns

Date Created
    10/16/2001 10:58 AM

Print Answer

Email Answer What is the lightest load the 11-87 and the 1100 are designed to cycle?

Question
    What is the lightest load the 11-87 and the 1100 are designed to cycle?

Answer
    The 11-87 with a pressure compensated barrel is designed to cycle field loads or heavier. This would consist of 3 ¼ dram 1 1/8 oz shot or more. The Model 1187 Super Magnum is designed to cycle field loads or heavier. This would consist of 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz shot or more. The Model 1100 12 gauge is also designed to cycle loads of 3 ¼ dram 1 1/8oz shot or more. These firearms are not designed for target loads. We do offer the Model 1100 Sporting, Trap and Skeet firearms that are specifically designed for target loads and should be used with up to 3 ¼ dram 1 1/8oz shot.

How well did this answer your question?
    100% 75%

from remington So it looks like up to 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 shot for target barrels.

10. pull!

pull! TS Member

my 1187 Target barrel mikes out at .744, so the regular choke tubes can be used, BUT you need to ignore the labels on them and mike each one. Subtract the dimensions of the choke tube from the dimensions of the barrel and you have the constriction. cyl=.00,skeet=.05, ic=.10, lm=.15, m=.20, im=.25, lf=.30, f=.35

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I shot an 11/87 Sporting model, the manual had an insert that advised the 3 1/4 X 1 1/4 Super Pigeon load was MAXIMUM in a non compensated barrel.

Annual replacement of the action spring and routine inspection of the bolt buffer will help your Remmy gaspipe live a long happy life.

12. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

YOU CAN USE ANY REMCHOKE, BUT THE RESULTING RESTRICTION WILL BE DIFFERENT ON THE TRAP BARREL WHICH IS BACK BORED. RULE OF THUMB IS 2 CHOKE SIZES DIFFERENTIAL. FROM THE 16 WHERE YOU WOULD USE AN IMPROVED MOD. IN THIS BARREL YOU MAY USE AN IC OR LM FOR THE EQUIVILENT PATTERN. THE REMINGTON WEBSITE (ABOVE) HAS A CHART WHICH SHOWS THE CHOKE DIAMETERS AND IT IS EASY TO FIGURE OUT A CROSS REF. I SHOOT MINE WITH A LIGHT MOD PORTED COMP N CHOKE AND GET A GREAT PATTERN. I SWITH TO A IMP MOD FOR THE 27 AND A MOD FOR IN BETWEEN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.