1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 needs a overhall

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herman63, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I have and 11-87 that needs help. Think it needs a maintence kit can someone lead me in right direction?\\

Thanks, Herman in KY

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

There are LOTS of things that COULD need replaced, but it depends on several things such as how much the gun has been shot, the kind of maintenance and care it has received, how well it shoot various loads now, etc.

Tell us some details about the gun and maybe we can help. Otherwise contact Remington or send the gun to a reputable gunsmith for them to check out.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If it's malfunctioning, take it to a gunsmith that is well versed in Remington Autos. There are many things that could use replacement, but a very thorough inspection and cleaning is the first step. Replacement of the usual springs would be a given, along with a new "O" Ring. The action spring is one that should be replaced at regular intervals. You'd be surprised at how much difference a good cleaning and new springs can make.

4. Herman63

Herman63 Member

It has been shot alot and it will not feed the seconf shot on doubles well. I was thinking it just needs general maintence and didn't know what to try to replace.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try these guys, they have spring kits, comes with alot of springs. Call them

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Its worn out and can't be fixed.

Please send it to me for suitable disposal. I will even pay the shipping charge.

Just kidding.

A thorough (and I mean take it all the way down to component parts except the trigger group) to start. Even the action spring, and action spring tube, as noted above. Don't take out the little toggling spring loaded part that it c-clipped in to the inside of the receiver. That's a pain to get back in unless you have the right tools and a lot of patience.

Make sure the ports in the barrel are clean and unobstructed. I use a small drill bit to do this.

Make sure the inside of the barrel lug (the cylinder) is clean and free from hard-caked powder residue. You may need to soak that area to soften up the residue, and maybe also use a pocket knife to scrape it out.

The inside of the 1100/1187 receiver has some extremely sharp edges, so exercise caution when cleaning the inside. I know this from experience. It'll slice your fingertips if you run them along the edges.

Take some Gun Scrubber or BraKleen spray and spray the heck out of the trigger group, but only re-lube ever so lightly with RemOil, in the places they say to lube in the owner's manual. Careful, the BrakLeen will damage the finish on your stock and forearm.

Put in a new o-ring (size 33 plumbing o-ring from Ace Hardware fits perfectly, but its neoprene, so replace it once a year.)

Put it back together and coat the gas path parts liberally with Break-Free CLP (makes it easier to clean next time.) Make sure the two piston ring grooves are 180° apart. Just a little lube in the grooves in the receiver.

If it still malfunctions, repeat the above, but also replace the action spring.

If still no luck, seek a competent gunsmith.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I got tired of cleaning and lost targets in doubles and went to a Beretta 391. Looks like 1/2 the parts in the trigger assy. they just work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.