1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 Fixed Full Choke to RemChoke Conversion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smitty millwright, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smitty millwright

smitty millwright TS Member

Hi Folks

I have a 11-87 with the original fixed full choke barrel. I really like the gun and am just starting sporting clays now, hence I need a more open choke. The barrel is back bored and I was told that because of this the choke tubes cannot be put in....I think he was trying to get me to buy a new barrel.

Does anyone know if its possible to put the tubes in this barrel?

p.s. I'm a newbie to this trap/clay shooting but I'm hooked already.
    Thanks
    Stephen

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Depends on where the barrel backboring ends. If it is far enough back rfom the choke tube area, then there's no problem. If it extends into the choke tube area, probably not, though the Rem Pro-Bore *might* work. Unless you are dead set on Rem-Chokes, you might consult with someone like Briley about this. If you insist on Rem-Chokes, a new barrel is probably going to be the least painless way to go.

3. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

MOST FIXED CHOKE BARRELS ARE TOO SMALL IN O.D. TO INSTALL REMCHOKES. BRILEY OR CARLSON CAN INSTALL THINWALLS FOR AROUND 180 INCLUDING 3 EXTENDED CHOKES. IS THIS A STEP RIB FULL TRAP BARREL? IF IT IS ONE OF THE RARER BACKBORED ONES
    I WOULD NOT TOUCH IT. PICK UP A USED REMCHOKE NON-TRAP BARREL FOR SPORTING ON THE NET.THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE FOR 150-175 WITH CHOKES. THE REMCHOKED 1187 TRAP BARRELS ARE BACKBORED AND HAVE A PARTIAL FIXED CONSTRICTION AREA BEHIND THE REMCHOKE. BECAUSE OF THIS THE WIDEST EFFECTIVE PATTERN YOU CAN GET IS LIKE A LIGHT MOD. DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU INSTALL A WIDER CHOKE BECAUSE THE BARREL
    IS CONSTRICTED. THIS MIGHT NOT WORK FOR RABBITS OR "IN YOUR FACE" SPORTING
    TARGETS. IF YOU HAVE A TRAP STOCK, THE LOWER RIB ON THE NON TRAP REMCHOKE BARREL WILL MAKE YOU SHOOT TOO HIGH. A FIELD OR SKEET STOCK WILL IS A REASONABLE ALTERNATIVE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.