1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 Cycling Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DODGEMAN, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

I have an 11-87 that will not cycle light loads. My question is, there is no metal collar under the forearm on the magazine tube like my other 11-87? This is a synthetic stock,may make a difference.
    Thank you for your help.
    DODGEMAN R. DeJonge

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

A number of years ago at the Shot Show,I spoke with the engineer that was head of development for the 11-87. He stated most problems of this nature are caused by a dry mag tube & operating hardware. I suggest cleaning all very well,then use WD-40 & wet the mag tube completely,then wipe lightly leaving a good film of oil on the tube. This will conflict with what a lot of people say which is to run the tube dry. You will also pick up powder crude but I have found a 1100/11-87 will run 700-1000 rounds if kept wet. When it starts to stumble,spray some WD-40 on it. You can try this as it is very easy. I run very lite 7/8 oz loads in mine by keeping the tube wet. Just keep it wet.
    Tom Lobonc

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Tom said. A dry 1100/'87 is an unhappy one.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are you referring to the thin metal shield that wraps around the "barrel hanger" (properly called the gas chamber)? This has no purpose other than to keep hot gas from directly hitting the forend, and on some forends it's needed for properly spacing the barrel and forend to the receiver (fit is loose without it).

The other metal collar is a flat spring that wraps around the "barrel hanger". The ends of this flat metal spring each cover an exhaust port. Light loads are insufficient to lift the spring off of the exhaust ports. Heavy loads lift the spring and this is how excessive gas pressure is regulated. If this spring is missing the gun will not cycle.

(Exception - some target barrels lack this spring, because they are set up for light loads only. Some slug, defense and turkey barrels also lack this spring, since they're not likely to be used with light loads.)

Going further, some field barrels will not cycle very light loads. In my experience the 1187 light contour field barrels will cycle lighter loads than the standard weight matte black or camo field barrels, with the blued standard weight barrels being inbetween. But even the light contour barrels will not cycle the lightest factory trap loads.

I assume this is not an 1187 Super Mag. It often needs an auxillary gas sleeve to cycle light loads, and is not always successful at shooting anything lighter than field hunting loads.

And I fully concur with shooting an 1187 gas system "wet". I don't mean dripping wet, but I give mine a generous covering of liquid Break Free (reserving spray Break Free for very cold weather as it's thinner).

5. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Boy that was quick. I am going to go and check this out. Thank you for the good information.
    DODGEMAN

6. shoot for ever

shoot for ever Member

don't use WD-40 on it i've talked to gunsmiths and they say that WD-40 will collects dirt and shit that makes for a not happy 11-87. thanks

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Keep the mag tube wet with Break Free liquid. Use the Break Free spray version to clean it. It will dissolve the residue quite well. Usually a good cleaning and spring replacements will go a long way. The action spring is a root cause of many functioning issues. WD-40 has not worked as well for me and I don't usually use it on firearms.

8. TC

TC TS Member

WD-40 is one of the best rust protections made! It is one of the worst lubricants made!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1100s and 1187s like Brake Free spray lube. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 cycling problem

1187 cycling problems
fixes for 11-87 cycling problems