1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87 Barrel switches Standard to Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NJCOP, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Okay this is a first for me. I've switched 870 barrels and know the rules. I've switched 1100 barrels and I know the rules but before I do a 11-87 switch I need to know if there are any pitfalls that I have to be aware of. The reason why I am asking is that I am going from 4 vent hole light contour barrel to a 2 hole standard weight target/skeet barrel. Somewhere I read something about a gas cylinder spring and I don't know where that may come into play so I'm taking the advise I give my grandkids; "If you don't know what your doing ask for help!"

I do know that I have to open up the forend a bit but I need to know if there's any gas porting issues that I should be aware of before blowing up the gas system.

If anyone has experience with this please throw an old man a bone. Thanks.

Bob Richter

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Should not be a problem, the gas cylinder spring only comes into play when needed, when there is enough pressure to move it. With normal trap loads it shouldn't even come into play.

3. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

That'a why I love this site. Thanks SBE

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Bob,

The gas cylinder spring is only used on the 2 3/4" & 3" compensated barrels, it fits over the front two holes on the gas cylinder and allows excess gas to bled off when heavy loads are used.

The target barrel is not compensated so it does not have a gas cylinder spring. It should only be used with 2 3/4" target loads.

Don't forget to put the gas cylinder collar back in place when you reassemble the gun. The gas cylinder collar goes on the front (muzzle end) of the gas cylinder and is there to protect the fore end wood from the gas bleed off through the compensation system.

The gas cylinder collar is also used with the target barrel, but its only purpose is as a spacer to insure proper fit of the fore end. If it is not installed the barrel will have to much fore and aft slack

Michael

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Mag410 has it right!

6. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

You might want to check the forearm fit before you commit. As I recall the forearm from a light contour barrel will be too tight on a target barrel without removing some wood.

Scott

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mag410 has it right. And Scott does also.

Your present forend is a light contour. The barrel channel, the area ahead of the forcing cone, is smaller than that for a standard barrel. A light contour barrel channel can be opened up, but it's a pain. Simply get a forend for a standard barrel. And, the light contour will fit in it too. There will be a gap, but the rear by the forcing cone makes contact. I use my light contour barrel for sporting clays in my trap forend, which has a standard channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel moves fore and aft on 11-87