1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

11-87,1100 or 391 for trap;What is better??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,What is better for trap and why;an 11-87,1100 or 391??Thank you for your input.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's about the same question as, 7 1/2s or 8s. There used to be a good difference in cost between the 391 and the 1100/11-87. Not so much anymore. I prefer the 1100 or the newer 1100 Classic Trap. There's some slight differences between the 1100 and the 11-87, but not all that much. That's just a personal preference and really has little to do with function. I have shot the 391 and did not like them. There was enough odd noise and vibration that it became distracting. I'm sure I would have become used to it after a short while, but it was noticable. Can't say that the 1100 doesn't make some clatter either.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I took a long time searching for a auto to shoot with. What I liked about the beretta is the parallel adjustable comb, seem to be a bit heavy to me but I like that. 1100/1187 when I mount them I am always looking at the ass end of the reciever even on the MC stock. I ended up with a Browning Gold Sporting Clays and a Wenig NewAmerican trap style stock. Bought the semi Inletted do it yourself stock. I would like adjustable comb on that though. I shoot my XT for everything now. I think if you are thinking off the shelf. You have to find whats comfortable. The 391 trap is also a few hundred more than the remington. Only the most abused 1100/1187/391 have any major problems at our club.

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Look at the 391 parallel rib and the Rem 1100 competition
    Both are excellent!!

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with either gun.

Pick the one that fits you best, and go with it.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I am not a 391 fan, so I will decline comment on it.<br>
    <br>
    As for the Remingtons, the best Remington trap barrel is the older 1100 that's backbored with a fixed full choke. These don't grow on trees.<br>
    <br>
    The next, in my opinion, are the 1187's with the backbored barrel with screw in choke tubes.<br>
    <br>
    After that, it doesn't matter, except the older 1100's are made with a bit more finesse and the finish is more durable.<br>
    <br>
    As far as recoil, in my opinion, the softest is an 1100 Magnum that has a trap barrel installed. This has the heaviest action sleeve, proving more inertia and dampening. The next is the 1187, followed by the standard 1100 (both have the same action sleeve). The difference is not all that great, and there are those who will argue the point.<br>
    <br>
    The 1100 and 1187 are pretty user friendly, even for replacing most parts. Parts are readily available. And there's a ton of aftermarket parts. They are the small block Chevies of the trap world. There are still a lot of very low mileage 1100's and 1187's out there that smokin' deals can be made on. And some NIB as well.

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

1100 (especially 3" Magnum) or 11-87. Berettas seem to have too many "technical" problems and cost quite a bit more. You see lots of Beretta 390 & 391s for sale - more so than 1100s. Shot sporting clays with a gentleman today who was using a 391...only jammed about 6 - 8 times. Best Regards, Ed

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you go the Beretta route,..find either a 303 trap or a 390 Super Trap.

9. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Thank you for all the replies.After handling a 391 I found that they are on the light side and have to agree that it looks more technical than the 1100.I have always thought of the 11-87 as a fancy version of the 1100;is there any mechanical differences between them?...To ClavinMD,I am curious as to your recommendation of a 303 or 390 as opposed to the 391.Are there problems with a 391 that the 303 or 390 do not have?Thanks to all.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

In my family we have 3 Beretta 391's, and at one time 3 1100's. Sold one to to Mr. Charles over the summer. I've shot them both - a lot - and find the 391 to be head and shoulders above the 1100. The front end is lighter, but how they feel to you is what matters, not someone else. The front end is much slimmer and easier to hold (at least on the optima guns).

Yes, they are a little more "techie", but nothing to worry about. Cleaning time is about the same to do either of them right. The benefit of the "techie" is that the 391 is very soft shooting. My 12 year old can shoot it all day - not so with the 100-T.

Never had a 391 jam - ever. Had the 1100 fail to feed on doubles several times - they tend to develop a carrier latch problem after a million rounds or so, but that's easy to fix.

Dollar for dollar the 391 parallel target is the best gun on the market in my opinion. It can do it all - trap, skeet, clays, doves, ducks, geese - right out of the box. 11-87 trap such as the one MIA has for sale will do the same thing but only with 2 3/4 shells. 391 shoots either 2 3/4" or 3". You can get a regular 11-87 barrel and shoot 3" with it - but by then you've spent more than for a 391. Sporting clays guys prefer 391's because they are soft shooters and very reliable. If you're going to be shooting more than one shot at a time, maybe that matters to you.

Joe

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

if you find that you can shoot and like to shoot a winchester sx1, i would go with it for the simple reason that it is considered a collectible. something like driving a classic car. IMHO. jm

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

In the "there are at least two sides to every story" category, my experience with a new out-of-the-box Beretta 391 Parallel Target was exactly opposite the experience of Joe (M R Ducks) as reported above. Perhaps I got a "lemon", but the gun required incredible effort to assemble the barrel to the receiver (the dealer had to do the assembly using a soft mallet); the gun jammed several times over the next couple of months despite regular cleanings per the instruction manual, sometimes locking up with a spent shell in the chamber; and, despite help from other 391 owner/mechanics who had similar problems, I sold it (paid $945 - sold for $725) took a $220 bath and swore off Beretta autos. Never had near these problems with 1100s. Others will "flame" my comments, but that is my experience. Best Regards, Ed

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Ed - sorry to hear bout your 391 trauma. Like I said - we have 3, all have performed flawlessly to date on everything from targets to turkeys.

Don't get me wrong - I love an old 1100 - key word being "old."

14. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Joe (M R Ducks) - nobody was as disappointed as I was about the 391 Beretta P-T. With a safe full of 1100s, I was ready for a change and liked the feel of the 391 and was very optimistic about its performance..after all, most sporting clay shooters and lots of trapshooters shoot the 391 exclusively. I just wish it had turned out as well for me as the P-T has for others. Since then, I have converted to Browning XTs. Best Regards, Ed

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It all depends I guess. First off The older 1100s are better IMO than the newer 1100 classic. If you can find one with the older fixed choked barrels BUY IT! They are target crushing machines and getting VERY hard to find these days! The 1100 is a natural pointer and much easier to clean than a 391 Beretta. That said the 391 is much more maint. free. It can go several hundred rounds without cleaning(an 1100 will need attention after a couple of hundred in most cases). The 391 is front end light but that can be easily fixed with a forearm weight made for the gun. One problem is that if you are going to shoot doubles with a 391 you will need to get a deflector pin made for it. The gun throws hulls VIOLENTLY during ejection and you are going to really torque off the guy or gal shooting to your right if you have not modified the gun to retard the ejected hulls! They are easily made and several gunsmiths will make one for you. For some reason Beretta has never produced a "factory" deflector for the gun!

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shoot my 1100 today I bought it in 1972 and have shott every thing from targets to ducks and deer with it. It's never failed to fire whrn I pulled the triger and if I'm on my game so is the gun.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Get a good break open gun and forget about all those shellshuckers.

18. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

"Get a good break open gun" huh?? I grew up shooting 870's and became addicted to the trap game this spring and have spent many 1000's this year on break open guns. ie. 682 gold ex. xt's. etc etc, that I have struggled with all this year to break my 2nd 25 straight. Today a fellow member showed up to our club with an older 1100 trap with a fixed full choke in brand new condition, which he let me shoot ...The gun fit me to a tee, and absolutely ink balled targets....He sold it to me for $600...Now my biggest decision is where to find another older 1100 to start my collection, because I'm not too sure I will be spending many more hard earned dollars on another "good break open gun"...well maybe a good used BT-99....In closing, regarding the 391, the one very distracting thing I noticed every time that gun went off, was that cha-chunk sound from the gas spring in those guns....they never fit me or pointed as well as the ol' remys..good luck with your decision....

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

With all due respect when I can shoot my o'l Model 12 better at handicap than I could ever shot any "break open gun" I ever owned. Sort of reminds me of an incident at the Shreveport Gun club in Lousiana back in 1980. A shooter was kidding around with Rudy Etchen and ask him when he was going to get a nicer gun and quit shooting his 870.(Of course he knew that Rudy owned many really nice guns at the time). Rudy just looked up at him and said that if he found one he could shoot better, he would buy two and give him the extra!

20. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have owned several of both. If you are not going to shoot doubles, what ever feels better. I have experience enough problems with the Rem. 11xx to vote against them for doubles. They require more frequent cleaning and even when clean they will malfunction. I have experienced very few malfunctions with the 303/390/391 s if owned. They function much better dirty than most 1100 s do clean. I bought a new 391 Urika which would not correctly function new, sent it to Beretta and 2 weeks later had it back. It never had another malfunction. The worst problem I had, I was shooting paper reloads in a rain and my pouch held the water long enough for the paper to swell. Have over 70,000 reg. doubles and 50,000 with Ber.s probably 1/2 that again in practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.