1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

10ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Larry 64, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry 64

Larry 64 TS Member

I'm going on a snow goose hunt next spring and two of my buddy's are bringing 10's. I need a new gun. Is a 12ga 3 1/2 every thing a 10 is? I have 3' 12's but a big 3 1/2 12 or 10 would be good for goose and open area turkey around here.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A 3.5" 12 will do the job.. but the answer to the question is no.. the 3.5" 10 gauge is the King.. of longrange..

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you guys are hunting right (over decoys and waiting for the birds to come into range), all you'll need is 12 ga., 2-3/4", # 4 Hevi-Shot or Remington HD.

12 ga. 3-1/2's and 10 ga. stuff is for pilgrims and bunny buster's.

Curt

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

and for guys who like to hunt public ground where the closest shot you get will be 55 yards. the 3 1/2 inch 12 is not a 10ga. It isn't now and it never will be. The people who pattern guns and kill lots of birds that are shot at long range know this. The reason you shoot a 10 ga is to get a pattern with big shot. This is the only reason. If you are pass shooting birds at 55 to 65 yards then shoot heavy shot #2's in a standard old 3" 12 ga. I can't kill them any farther with my 10ga with size TT shot then then I can my 12 with heavy shot #2's. heavy shot BB's in a 10ga should be the ultimate. I have not tried them. Heavy shot 2's will wack a snow goose dead at 70 yards and the holes will be out his back in warm weather. Cold weather they will be clear through the breast and lodged against the back bone.Jeff

5. clazy

clazy TS Member

Snow goose = long range + big bird. (translates to hard to kill)

The 10 gauge is the BEST choice for the above.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My SP-10 is also a dream to shoot. No kickee!

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Tripod, the SP 10 is a very nice gun to shoot. Not to much recoil. The 3 1/2 kicks like a mule. A friend has one and he said you have to let the duck get out some or you will tear them up. The gun shoots like a rifle when the duck is to close. Go for the 10 you will not be sorry.

8. redjones

redjones Member

I have two SP-10's,and a Super Black Eagle 3 1/2 inch 12ga.
    And while the SBE is nice,the 10 is my go to gun when the birds dont want to decoy.
    I have one for sale that is like new for $800.00 plus shipping if you are looking for one.

Greg

9. oleww

oleww Member

I'll have to disagree with the above love for the 10 gauage posts....

I own two SP-10 and two 12 ga 3.5 inchers.

I agree the 10 ga is the "go to" gun for big birds (or whatever)

But only if you are shooting big steel. I say again, big steel....

I beleive the pressure limits(Saami specs) for the big ten are lessor than the 12ga 3.5 because they have been around for ever. 12 ga 3.5" has only been around for a decade or so. They ain't no 12 ga 2 7/8 damascus double barrels out there.

I believe 10 gauge ammo magnum loads are lessor than 12ga 3.5" loads for safety reasons.

now, I reload for the 10, and push the limits as I know myu SP-10 is a current make. My 10 ga reloads or far supierior to ANY 12 ga loads!

Now the 10 has more volumn than the 12. So if you want to shoot factory BB or bigger steel shot, requardless of the gun or sammi specs, you got to go with the 10 ga becuase it has the room to contain the big shot.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

For cheap steel ammo, the ten is what to shoot. I have not shot any waterfowl with anything but a ten for about seven or eight years. I shoot nothing but 1 3/4 ounce big steel for ducks and geese because the ammo was cheap when I bought it and I have a lot of it. I shoot it in an AYA Matador and it hammers birds at long range. Nope, no damage to bore or choke. End of story.

11. #1ROCK

#1ROCK TS Member

I have a browning 10Ga. for sale contact me for pictures and price.

Thanks The Rock

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That is the other truth about the SP-10. My TT 1 1/2 hand-loads go 1550 and kick like a trap load. that is right... Like a trap load. Think about it. You are shooting a an old school 1 1/2 baby Magnum 12ga load in a 9 pound 10ga autoloader. My Sp-10 kicks less then a 12ga with a standard 1 1/4 load of lead. I shoot big steel because I can load it for 10 dollars a box. If it were not for the fact I am cheap i would just shoot heavy shot in my 12. Heavy shot is it's own game. It is better then lead. Jeff

13. Larry 64

Larry 64 TS Member

How do Ithaca Mag-10's do with steel shot? If they are fix full can you just have the choke opened to mod?

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Larry64, shoot steel in the full choke. Do believe the old wives tale about modified patterning tighter than full with steel. It doesn't.

15. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

one time when shooting snow geese , i shot a lil low on a bunch coming up out of the field--- we picked up a whole bushel basket of feet!

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Yep! That is what big shot will do! Jeff

17. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

I also have a Rem SP-10 and i would shoot this gun all day long. Now the 12ga 3 1/2 is another story. shooting the 10bore is a long push for felt recoil but the 12 is like a mouse trap when it goes off you feel it all at once. The bbl length that we all like the best is 26" put a Patternmaster on the end and the 10bore will amaze you.

18. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

War Wagon, I also have a SP-10 26 in barrel, I did the same Patternmaster choke. I haven't had my Benelli 31/2" SBE out for 3 years, sure do like that 10 ga setup.

19. tulsey

tulsey Member

My Ithica Mag 10 had the 32 inch full choke and was not impressive with steel. I had it shortened and tube and that made it a much better gun for non toxic ammo. Friends who run a gun store talk about all the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga guns they take in on trade that have had one or two 3 1/2 12 ga shells fired by their former owner. After one or two shots they never want to fire a 3 1/2 inch 12 again. The mag 10 is heavy and does not kick.

20. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

I haver hunted texas snows with both 10 and supermag 12 The 10 was a little bit better, BUT we fly from MI to texas- so carring shells is a problem-and finding 10ga around Katy-Eagle lake can be tough! On a foggy morning there is nothing better than seeing 4 foot of flame coming out of your 10ga barrel!!. Perry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.